Turning tables

Chapter 6: Turning tables

New Orleans

Klaus dropped the keys and looked at the untouched bottle, he could use a drink because his jaw was tense and his tongue was lazy, unable to deliver the words that she surely had come here set on listening to.

He turned around facing the blonde, she was actually here, in the city that he imagined showing to her in detail but she was not here as part of the perfect canvas that he had painted in his mind.

He should have known by now that Caroline had the particular ability to shift every single resolution he was determined to see his way through, she always somehow managed to make him cave before her.

Caroline quickly skimmed around the big room, the house was darker than the one he had back in Mystic Falls but perhaps that was just because her eyes were only seeing the darkness looming inside of her.

Her weary blue eyes landed on his and she kept them there, trying to read something that would help her find a reason to all of this. "For someone so talkative during our calls, you are strangely silent now." she finally spoke knowing that if she wanted to walk away with answers she would have to dig them out of him.

"Actually you did most of the talking..." he said with a hint of a smile.

Caroline shrugged. "You could have stopped me by mentioning that you were going to be a daddy."

He could really use that drink now, Klaus licked his lips unable to actually pronounce the words that he had been avoiding saying out loud and Caroline sat down on the sofa tired, she was verging exhaustion and touched her forehead before facing him again.

"I tried to tell you many times." he finally managed something on the lines of an actual sentence.

"You know, when you kept saying that you wanted to tell me something in person, I was actually expecting something more under the lines of, hey Caroline, I have been turning and siring half of NOLA, you should come over and check it out." she looked down on the floor. "Not this."

"You would have accepted that in exchange for the news that are upsetting you so much..." he quietly understood while absorbing every single line in her face as it changed whenever the thought of what he had done assaulted her.

Her lips parted into another tired smile. "Mass murder trumps sleeping around with Hayley." she felt a foul taste in her mouth by just mentioning the name.

"Perhaps you are giving this too much importance, one that she doesn't deserve." Klaus turned to the bottle, he needed a drink urgently.

Caroline lifted her eyes angrily at him and stood up from the sofa with a spur of rage. "I'm the one giving her importance? Well Klaus, I'm not the one who chased Tyler out of town with deranged death threats and then went and slept with the one who may I remind you, betrayed you as well. She made you kill 12 people to complete the triangle and apparently her reward was your baby." The words felt stranger now that she said them and she sat back down on the sofa.

Klaus kept his back on her, he was pondering drinking the entire bottle at this point, the words were strange for him as well.

"How is this even possible?"

She asked and he wasn't sure if she was talking about the mystical pregnancy or the insufferable act itself, he looked at her wishing that this would not be between them. "If you figure the answer to that one, I'm the first in line for the answers." he said solemnly having his generous drink.

"Aren't you the world's most powerful creature? Answers should come to you easily."

He twirled the drink in his glass, he didn't feel that powerful right now and she was the reason for it.