Leave the nest

1,348 Chapter 25: Leave the nest
"Damon is acting out again and killing, yesterday Elena had to seduce him so that we could vervain him. I have him locked inside of a prison cell but I can't hold him for much longer."

Caroline didn't mean to come across as incredibly insensitive but she was only worried about her mother. "I called to know how you were mom, not to get the entire news flash from the same old gang."

Liz chuckled from the other side of the line. "This is my life Caroline, I have to deal with Damon draining girls by the side road and Elena crying all night camped out in my police station... and the occasional stranger rolling into town..."

Caroline held back the book that she was about to stuff inside of her bag. "What stranger?"

"Just some guy who arrived to town with a legal car and that has been sitting at The Grill drinking water."

Caroline could tell the mocking tone from her mother was meant to assure her that he represented no real danger but still she wasn't too reassured. "Why don't you stop being stubborn and come visit your darling daughter?" she packed her bag wishing that her mother would listen to her just this once.

"You must really be dating Klaus, you are starting to sound like him."

Caroline rolled her eyes. "I'm worried about my mother who I love very much."

"I love you too honey and I miss you but there's no reason to go to New Orleans, we talk more now than we ever did when you lived here."

Caroline warmly smiled. "That's true."

"And we will talk again tomorrow, now I have a shift starting and you have school."

"I'll call you tonight mom, I love you." Caroline sweetly ended her call with a big smile for Bonnie.

The other didn't return such an enthusiastic smile but as Bonnie struggled with a blue cardigan Caroline silently noticed the change in her friend.

Bonnie's style changed since she was in New Orleans, the tops were tighter and steamer and the skirts were by addition shorter, yet Bonnie's real change came along with her new sassy short haircut, she also gained a taste for dresses and Caroline particularly liked the one she had today, the baby blue dress was just smooth against her beautiful skin.

"There was no late dinner with Kol last night? You were already sleeping when I got home." Caroline asked as they got ready to leave.

"I stayed a little at Lust but I really wanted to wake up early for college so I didn't stay until very late." Bonnie grabbed her bag trying to sound nonchalant about the entire thing. "I lost track of Kol when he left with a girl, she had that entire Russian model vibe about her."

Caroline lessened her eyes as they reached the iron gate. "Are you... upset about that?"

"Of course not." Bonnie held the gate looking at Caroline. "Why would I be?

"I don't know... you and Kol have been spending a lot of time together..."

"Do you know how hard it is to have a witch friend? To find someone who understands Latin and doesn't look at me like I'm an alien when I'm speaking about spells?"

Caroline closed the front gate with a thoughtful look. "I never thought of it like that."

"You guys all have that vampire thing between you, fangs and blood links you to Stefan and the Mikaelsons, even when we were back in Mystic Falls I felt left out and the only time I had someone like me was when Luka was alive. It feels really good to have someone to share all the things that define me."