Pilot

Chapter 1: Pilot

"Where do you want me to put this?" April asked Caroline with a smile.

"The corn stays in that big table where all the drinks are." Caroline answered while looking up briefly from the table that she was fixing. "The meat stays here because it's under the trees where the sun can't reach it." she smiled at April before looking over at the table where she just sent the girl. "Wait... where are the drinks? Elena was in charge of the drinks." Caroline pointed at the table worried.

"I saw her leave with Damon an hour ago." April brought the big bowl with the beautiful yellow corn closer to her. "But don't worry, I called Jeremy and he is on his way from The Grill."

Caroline pressed her chest with a sigh. "Crisis under control."

"This will be the best End of Summer Barbecue that Mystic Falls has ever had." April said excited.

"You weren't around for the others." Caroline reminded her with a cocked eyebrow.

"I'm still sure of it." April walked away with a big smile.

Caroline took a look around the square, everything looked perfect except for a few friends who were missing, which was basically everyone at this point.

She checked for any missed calls or messages, there was nothing new and she decided to try Bonnie's number again but just like it happened during all summer all that she got was a disconnected message which really troubled her.

When she saw Jeremy arrive with a card box full of bottles she immediately drilled him. "I still haven't been able to talk to Bonnie, all I keep getting is a disconnected message, over and over."

Jeremy smiled but kept walking to avoid a conversation that required looking at Caroline in the eye. "I talked to her yesterday."

"Really? And what did she say?" Caroline went after him like a dog chasing a bone.

Jeremy started unpacking the bottles. "That she's loving her summer getaway, she was very drained after all those spells and the Expression thing so she needed a break."

Caroline nodded exasperated. "And you called your family in Denver and they agreed to let her spend the summer there. I know this by heart now Jeremy, because you've spent all summer repeating it."

He gave her another smile. "Because you spent all summer asking me the same questions."

"I just don't get why she left without a word." Caroline tried Bonnie's number again.

Jeremy grabbed the box that was now empty. "Have you heard from Tyler?" he tried to change the subject.

Caroline's mood was not improved. "He found a pack on some forsaken mountain and they have been bonding or whatever it is that werewolves do." she shook her head distressed. "He promised me that he would be back last week."

"I'm sure that he will surprise you soon." Jeremy headed back to The Grill for another liquor pick up.

Caroline walked with him gloomily. "It's just like last summer with Elena, she is spending all of her time with Damon while Stefan is away unreachable but at least last year I had Tyler with me."

"I'm living at the Boarding House with Damon and Elena and their really loud sex life... it's been the summer from hell." Jeremy confessed with a doomed voice.

Her phone started ringing but Caroline didn't answer it, instead she sighed at Jeremy. "Matt is in Europe with the Original she-devil and Bonnie isn't here either..." Caroline shoved her hands inside of her summer cardigan ignoring the caller with the harsh move. "I just want summer to be over so that everything goes back to normal again."