Chapter 51

Practise like you've never won, and play like you've never lost.
~ Alex Morgan

"You're going to be fine

"You're going to be fine. Just go out there and do your thing." I told a troublesome Jayden who wanted to back out now.

I got the feeling that this happened a lot and he genuinely never meant it - it was just his anxious bumbling nerves that muddled his mind up from time to time.

"Aren't you the captain? Should you be giving them lot a pep talk right now?" I asked which he replied with a nod and then shook his head.

I dragged him from the bleachers and into the room we were given. As all matches were going to take place on the same pitch, all schools were given rooms - so we could change do a pep talk etc. We were room number two as the team that we supposedly hated, Bev Hills, were room number one. I have no idea as to why the school was named "Beverly Hills", seeing as it was in California and we were in Minnesota. It made no sense.

I pushed open the huge but dilapidated oak door, and what emerged was a clan of footballers shouting and chanting, whilst my nose inhaled the reeking odour of mouldy cheese inside an old sock. The room was pretty big for its age, as it was said that t was built in a time where football was barely evolving and introduced to these parts of America, which was pretty long ago - considering everywhere around the ancient architecture was modernised, rebuilt and/or refurbished.

Jayden had disappeared from my side when I turned my head to check on him, when I saw him from the other corner of my eye get up and lead the chanting. What more did he have up his sleeves? I had no idea. A part of me was fearful, I'll admit - but I was loving this feeling of daringness and adventure.

It was like knowing that getting into this knot of something could make or break your life, but you carried on regardless. It was like everything that could kill me, made me feel alive - theoretically anyways. Perhaps I could be killed, because being dead mentally just means you are dead both ways. Personal opinion.

"Come on, boys. We've got this game in the bag. I want to see our first ever game in triumph, do you understand me?" We as a team cheered along as Coach Noah gave his infamous speech. It was so infamous I had no idea that it even existed.

"We are going to win! Last year's defeat gives us reason to carry on, and we are not going to let that bring us down. A small mistake on the pitch doesn't deteriorate your worth. A small mistake behind the game does - and we've put it soul into this. We will bring home that cup like we usually do, last year an exception, and show everyone how to do it. Who are we?!" Everyone bellowed their response collectively - in a disastrous synchronisation.
"Bayside high!"

"What do we want?"
"The league trophy!"

"When do we want it?"
"Now!"

"Bayside high and Callaghan line up in one minute." The intercom sounded. I felt like I was in an actual football club, because everything felt so realistic in the football world. These people really knew their soccer like I knew it. And it must be pretty darn good.