Chapter 48

"Every storm runs out of rain"

"Okay, the league is in a week, guys

"Okay, the league is in a week, guys. We need to notch up our training and our first match is against... Callaghan high." There was a silent pause. "Who the hell names their school Callaghan, no offence."

We all burst out laughing. It was just beginning of practice and coach was deciding to pull a few strings at the other teams. Of course, respectfully.

"Hey Alex, you know you're not playing first match, right?" He asked me and I rolled my eyes.
"Not you too!" I whined. I really wanted to play in the game.

"To be fair, we don't have a replacement anymore." Austin acknowledged.

"We do. Barry." And then from behind, a guy emerged. He looked muscled up, a bit like hulk. How does a sixteen- wait or seventeen- year old look like that? A few gasps were heard.

I heard I was the one who replaced him...

He looked at me immediately and walked right up to me. "So you're the chick that replaced me, eh?" Then to the others he said, "Seriously? You chose a girl to honour my place?"

I burst out laughing, as did Jayden, Austin and Ethan. Everyone else, including coach, looked at us weirdly as I couldn't contain myself. He did not know what he landed with.

"I wanna go up against you." He said to me and I nodded, trying not to laugh now. But Ethan and Austin were on the floor and Jayden was gasping for air as he leaned over, a hand on his stomach and one on my shoulder.

I touched his hand lightly and he started laughing more and I smirked - well that was until I remembered that Barry was in front of me. "Anyways, What kind of an "against" you want?"

"Hmm, lets do shots first. Whoever can shoot three times form different spots wins. If you don't get a shot in from a spot, you've gotta stay there." He said to me, raking over me again. Dude doesn't know what he's gotten into.

Besides, have you never heard of 'never judge a book by it's cover'?

"Coach, why don't you do the honours." I smiled at him and he nodded. He placed three cones down and Barry was to shoot first. I'm pretty sure he was doing it first to intimidate me.

It hit the back of the net swiftly and I nodded at his shot. Seeing from the angle he did it, I don't think he was gonna be able to shoot the third one first time. But that's just me making a prediction.

I also shot the ball in the net, my ball almost touching his ball. Ha! "Yes! Go Alex!" I heard Jayden cheer. I turned around to see that Jayden was clapping but then realised that the rest of them weren't clapping, and then he started to awkwardly clap.

"Go Jayden." I mocked as I burst into laughter. This time, the team joined in with me and I looked through my lashes to see a smiling Jayden who rolled his eyes, hands crossed over his chest.