Chapter 47

"A diamond is a chunk of coal that did well under pressure."
~ Henry Kissinger

I spun around on the heels of my trainers as I brought our table 4's order

I spun around on the heels of my trainers as I brought our table 4's order. "2 Mochas, an espresso and 2 chocolate covered pancakes. Would you like anything else?"

"No, thank you." A girl with red hair answered and I smiled, gave a little wave and walked of with the silver tray. Well, until I heard a jingle, signalling that someone was in the cafe. Another couple walked in and I turned back around. Yes, I was hoping it was someone else.

Also, Cody bailed on me. He called to tell me that he wanted to go to this fucking party. He called off sibling time for a party. Yeah, I was hurt. Beyond hurt for that matter. I mean who ditches sibling time for a fucking party? But yeah, point was, I was infuriately sad.

Not only because he had ditched me though. We'd had yet again another brawl. I hated Alcohol. I hated everything to do with it and I hated anyone who drank it. It was like he didn't care though. We had a whole fight and he claimed he needed to "be rid of the feelings" Alyssa and I had stirred up.

Honestly, if alcohol can bring so much pain, why even go near it? Why are so many people obsessed with it, especially when the effects could be lifelong? I didn't fucking get it. You want to forget? Alcohol won't make you forget. It's only temporary. You need to forgive yourself and move on. That's the only way.

Forgetting shit doesn't make you a better person. Accepting what you did was wrong and getting back up, though? That's what makes you the better person. That's what makes you the one that makes you believe in a better you and a better world.

Yes, I was scared of alcohol as well. And Cody knew that. But he has changed. He has changed so much since we've got here. He's not the Cody Allen Baxter I knew before we came here.

I've changed too, and I'm not saying change is bad. But sometimes, change can scar. Why do you think people are scared of change? Because it can hurt those around you that love you the most.

Tracing my thoughts back to the world that everyone saw, I cleaned up the counter a bit, neatly stuffing the extra receipts in their allocated slots underneath the cashier. Which was the bin.

Another jingle went and I didn't want to look up, but I heard someone coming towards the till to probably give their order.

When I looked up, the most beautiful pair of eyes were staring right back at me. The chocolate orbs were somewhat content as they stared back at my ones. They sparkled in joy seeing me, and a huge smile took over my features.

I ran around the counter and hugged him, as he stumbled back a bit. "Hey Alex." Then, after a few moments of hesitation, he hugged back.

"I was literally thinking about you when the last couple walked in." I smiled at him and he showed me a toothy grin.
"Guess someone's whipped." He sang and I laughed, the lightest blush taking my cheeks.
"Ooh! She's blushing, guys."