Chapter 24

<Brooke's>

"Well, well, look what the cat dragged in." Zatanna glares, arms crossed as I walk into the main room for the first time in a few days.

I was on bed rest for three days, which was three days for boredom and torture. But I would go back to it if it meant not being kicked down by Zatanna.

"Zatanna-" Artemis warns her, seeing as she is now magically on my side.

"She probably hurt Dick on purpose." Zatanna spited out, pretending as if I am not in the room.

"Z-"

"Come on, all of her family is dead and you don't think it's her fault?"

"At least my father isn't still paying for my screw up." I snap, my body so tense that I just need to punch something, preferably her face.

"At least he is alive and well, unlike everyone who comes in contact with you!" He growls out, practically ready to rip my head off.

I kind of don't blame her. I struck a nerve, but she struck mine first.

"Hey!" A painfully familiar voice shouts, grabbing both of our attentions. Dick is glaring at us, Wally right behind him. "What's going on?"

"Zatanna is grilling Brooklyn about the fact that you are injured and she isn't, when she doesn't even realize that Brooke literally has a gash the length of my hand from her collarbone to her shoulder." Artemis says, her tone stiff as he glances between us, mainly glaring at Zatanna who truly failed to realize that I was, in fact, more physically injured than Dick.

Dick's eyes snap to my collarbone, which was covered in a loose sweater that M'gann brought me after hearing about the incident.

Her and Conner had been keeping me company for the three days that I had been ordered to stay in bed. Turns out that Conner didn't actually believe I was murderous and crazy, unlike someone in the room.

Dick was going to say something, but got cut off by Conner, who said, "I'm kind of really tired of you hating on her when you barely showed up here, what, four days ago. " He exclaimed, surprising me before he continued with, "M'gann read her mind. She knows more than you will ever know about Brooke and she trusts her enough to let her live with her. Not to mention the fact that Nightwing is still alive because she fought off the assassins from getting to him until you and the others finally got there. If she wanted him dead, then he would be dead. And she has saved others on this team, more than anyone gives her credit for."

Zatanna's jaw works as she questions, "Whose side are you guys on?"

"That's the thing." I cut in smoothly, my eyes burning with determination to get this girl to understand what she has clearly been missing. "There aren't sides; we are all fighting a common enemy, and I'm not quitting so you can either get over it or leave."

In all honesty, I don't blame her at all. She came in late, she didn't know what I had done good for the team. She only heard the bad and she only cared about keeping her friends safe. But that doesn't mean that I am going to back down from her just because she believes she is right.

Her face turns red, before she starts to say something else, but the team walking in stops her in her tracks.

"What are they doing here?" Nightwing voices her thoughts.

"We are having a training session." I explain before adding, "I asked Batman. And I figured they would want to see how you were doing."

He seemed taken-a-back, but didn't say anything as they all greeted him with a smile and wave before focusing on me.