Chapter 12

~Brooklyn's~

She stops in front of a nice apartment building, telling me that we are here.

I don't make a move to go into the apartment until she does so herself.

The few citizens still driving at this time of night zoom behind me as I look back over my shoulder.

"Have you ever been to Chicago?" Miss Martian asks, making me lose my train of thought.

"No. Must be like Gotham though. But it feels safer." I say, going up the stairs as she buzzes into her apartment building.

A frown creases her forehead and she repeats what I said,"It feels safer? How so?"

"Like I said, I've never been here." My eyes roam over the buildings before I step into the threshold,"And if I haven't been here then neither have my enemies."

She doesn't say anything, she only frowns and leads me upstairs until we stop at a door.

"This is home sweet home." She says as she walks through.

I cautiously walk in behind her and look around. It seemed like a normal apartment. There was a small kitchen, a living room and a hallway that leads to somewhere I can't see.

"Did you just move in?" I question, my eyes studying the moving boxes, some still seeming to have things in them.

"I've been here for a year and a half..." she says looking at the boxes with a frown,"So much has happened. I just never got around to it."

"I see." I say, shifting in the entryway of the apartment as she shuts the door behind me.

"Make yourself comfortable. My house is now your house."

"Why are you being nice to me?" I question immediately turning to look at her.

"Excuse me?" She asks with a slight frown,"What do you mean?"

"Giving me a place to stay when I could have stayed there. Making them stop." I answer, crossing my arms over my chest.

"No one should ever have to go through pain that they don't deserve. You didn't deserve that. It was a complete invasion of privacy."

"Would you feel the same if you didn't know what I had gone through?" I stare her down, making sure she doesn't try to lie.

She doesn't answer, making me turn and look out the window,"Can I go out?"

"What? N-"

"I won't kill anyone. I promise. I need air. It's be a while since I was allowed to run freely on rooftops." I say wistfully.

She stops for a few moments, looking out over the city and back to me,"Do you promise? If you break this promise then I am handing you over to the League."

"Yes."

"Ok." She sighs,"Be back here in two hours."

I nod and hide my smile until I slip out of the window. Jumping down, I immediately turn and head back the way we came, making sure she isn't following me.

Once I know she isn't, I take a sharp turn and head straight toward a zeta tube.

The cold air whips my free hair back, making me wish I had my balaclava, but someone had to take it away. I shake the thought from my head and wrap my arms around myself.