Chapter 19

Brooklyn's P.O.V

I step into the watchtower and immediately move to get away from the others. My head spins as my lungs feel restricted and my hands feel shaky.

A hand grasps my wrist, dropping my in my place to which I then promptly turn to give the person a black eye.

Nightwing sees my fist coming and blocks it by holding it with his own. "What's up with you?"

"Nothing." I grumble as I force him to release me.

"I think I deserve more than that." Artemis steps up to me with a determined look on her face as she says, "I just got you out of there."

"I didn't ask for your help." I bite back, my normal cold glare freezing back in its spot.

Her eyes look straight into mine and she says, "But you took it."

My body tenses as Zatanna catches my eye. Her shoulda square up as she notices my stare. I can practically feel the tension in the air go up ten fold.

"So you can beat me?" She finally questions,
Her body language giving away just how defensive she really is.

My lips tighten into a straight line as I think back to how much pain and anguish her specific training caused me. My nails dig into my palms subconsciously as I try to keep my voice as calm as I can when I say," I can do more than beat you."

I could see it in her eyes; for a split second, just a split second, she truly agreed with me. That small fact brings me slight satisfaction as I turn away, only to be stopped by two certain vigilantes.

"Kitten, I have be worried sick!" Selina scolds, and I know she called me "kitten" just as petty payback.

I feel anger boil inside of me as I turn on Nightwing with poison laced in my words, "You called the police on me? You're unbelievable."

"Me? Unbelievable? You are the one that went crazy for no reason! Besides, I didn't even call them." He defends, his gentle tone gone and replaced with disbelief.

"He is telling the truth. I needed you two here. Just imagine our surprise when we called Miss Martian and she couldn't find you." Batman glares, his tone showing his slight annoyance.

I don't pay attention to him though or Nightwing or Zatanna. My eyes are stuck on Selina, her eyes staring straight back at me.

Her blank stare and silence is screaming out to me; she doesn't understand. She doesn't understand why I am acting like this. I don't even understand it myself. I just know that it's easier to fall into old habits than to face demons.

"Looks like someone's in trouble." Zatanna remarks under her breath.

"That's it." I practically growl out as I grab a knife from my belt and take a few steps towards her as I say," You can't cast spells if you don't have a tongue so I suggest you stay out of business that isn't yours."

"Cat!"

"What do you have against people's tongues?" Wallace questions out loud.

"Calm down. All of you." Batman demands as he starts towards me. "We need you for a mission." He says, before looking at Nightwing, "You two will both be going to an auction tonight."

"Really not the best time, Batman." Nightwing groans.

"I'm not your errand girl. I not even on your baby team." I cross my arms over my chest in defiance.

"Can't you get me a different partner?" Nightwing buffs out, running a hair through his messy hair as he steals a glance at me.

"No. Everyone else with nearly as much experience as you is too busy with everything else that the Light has been causing, especially with the meta-human trafficking." Batman replies. He opens his mouth again, but Nightwing cuts him off.