Chapter 22

Brooklyn's P.O.V.

He lead us into a large room without cameras and without windows which gave me slight anxiety as they locked the door and the guards got into their place.

"Now, I assume you all know what you are here to bid on... I only ask that you pay up front and that you do not disclose what the actual purposes of this auction was." Lex Luthor says, his guards revealing tables and tables of the drug substance.

My eyes wide as I stare at the large amount of bottles; all you need is one to replicate... he is giving them enough so that they don't even have to.

Nightwing seemed to follow my line of thinking because his hand, still in mine, tightened as his eyes scanned over the bottles.

"Starting bid for ten bottles is two thousand." Lex nods to the announcer who steps up.

"Two thousand! Anyone for two thousand? Two thousand!
Five thousand! Do I hear five thousand!" He shouts over everyone's muttering.

"Ten bottles?" I whisper to 'Marlo' as he raised his hand to bid.

"I don't know... maybe to show how many he has in stock?" He mutters low, so only I can hear before he raises his hand again.

"Fifteen thousand! Going once... going twice..." I put my hand over his bidding hand to make sure he doesn't bid again before the man shouts, "Sold!"

"What?" He whispers to me in response to me making him stop bidding.

"We need to know how this works." I mutter before nosing my head to Lex.

He stands up and says, "Now, that was just the beginning. Next is the bigger bid; twenty bottles."

"Two thousand! Two thousand. Five thousand! Five thousand. Ten thousand! Ten thousand. Fifteen thousand! Fifteen thousand." He keeps shouting until he gets to the highest bid and it is sold.

"Why didn't you-"

"You said to wait." He says sharing a look with me before Lex comes back up and announces, " thirty bottles!"

"He keeps raising it. We need to wait for the last one." I say, looking up at him before back to Lex and the others.

"I agree." He mutters, his eyes watching the other bidders.

After half of the bottles were bought, Lex caught our attention by stepping up and announcing, "Now, we will have a short intermission. You may converse amongst yourself or you may go outside, but do not go anywhere else."

I expected almost everyone to move for the door, but no one did. They were all to busy glaring at Lex or talking with each other.

My chest tightens for a few moments as I quickly look to 'Marlo' and glance to the door. "Can we go outside? I need air."

His nods, his eyes holding his curiosity as he leads me away from everyone else and out the door.

"Are you ok?" He questions when we are far enough away from everyone else.

"Fine..." Is all I supply as and answer as we continue walking down the yard. Everything is perfectly green and well kept and it just remains me who out of place I am.

The real reason that I wanted to get out of that room? We were sitting ducks in there. There isn't anyway to get out or for someone to get in to help. If they found us out in there, we would be dead in seconds, especially when sitting next to Gotham's worst of the worst villains.

"Hey..." He says, pulling me from my thoughts as he steps in front of me. "What's wrong?" He questions again, his eyes scanning mine for the answer.