Chapter 16

<Brooklyn's>
(Warning: sadness ahead. Skip over if it's too much)

I don't know why I even tried. I don't. I haven't had a good night sleep in years so why would I start now?

They always start out the same; in darkness. So, when I open my eyes to a pitch black room, I'm not surprised in the slightest.

I don't call out, I don't even move because I know that the demons will find me. Not the other way around.

And sure enough, the voices start. They are first a whisper running across my ears before they grow in volume. They only come to a set level until I can't even hear myself think.

My hands fly to my ears, but I know it won't help. It only encourages the voices to become louder. Some of them form words and sentences, others are simple screams with complex stories behind them.

And they all lead me here. They always do.

A dark room, no way to get out until I close my eyes; after that, a million different tunnels are made, each own with its own voice. They scream at me, telling me what to do any where to go. To come closer. And if I don't listen to them? Then the shadows come.

They always start out hazy, as if they aren't really solid until they are and they are tearing into my flesh, pulling my limbs in different directions. But I don't want to go any where with any of them, so I say and wait out the pain, screaming until my voice is red and raw and I can't make any more sound. Even then, the shadows don't leave.

After a few moments, my legs give out, switching the scene all together. Now Ra's al Ghul is shouting at me, but I can't get up. I can't feel my legs or my arms. I can't even feel my own heartbeat. All I can feel is the pain and the confusion.

Usually I last longer, but the dream seems to change into something else entirely; the League stands over me, each person with a different expression on their face.

"We shouldn't have trusted you." Batman growls at my figure.

"We shouldn't have tried to save you." Nightwing agrees.

"We should have locked you up." Wonder Woman hisses, her lasso in hand.

As they move in, they also fade, leaving a single figure.

"It will be okay."

"No." My voice cracks as I finally find the strength to speaks

"You will be okay."

"No, stop!" I scream, covering my ears as hot tears burn my eyes. I squeeze my eyes shut, willing everything to go away.

The silence breaks through, cutting off the voices and only letting a high pitch buzz through.

Slowly, I lower my hands, my eyes darting back and forth between the hallways. I know where each one leads, I know that each one wants me to go in theirs.

Hands shoot out from the floor, grabbing hold of me and pulling me under like quicksand as I struggle to get away. My breathes become pants as the ground covers and neck, growing to my face. My eyes sting as I shut them tightly, my lungs taking in the last bit of air before the ground swallows me.

After several long seconds, my eyes snap open, the weight of the dirt now gone, my body laying on the floor as if the ground had spit me back up.

I clumsy get to my feet, my body tense with what is next to come. My breathing becomes shallower as the sound of a monster screams out.

My hair falls in my face as I whip my head around in all directions. My hand wipes the sweat from my forehead only for it to reappear in a few seconds.