Chapter 4

~Brooklyn's~

The icy winds bite at my skin as I turn and kick the assassin on the head, knocking him down.

He doesn't get back up, making me sigh in annoyance.

"We do not have many that share your skill level." Ra's al Ghul states, walking up behind me.

"You made sure of that."

"I did. And look at you,now." He agrees,"You have evolved. Better than almost everyone. Who knew...A child broken hearted would end up learning more in a few years than anyone else in their whole lives."

I tense at his words, not turning to him. He is just trying to get under my skin...

"But it must have made it easier. The pain, I mean. Working all of your anger out on someone. Only being able to focus on the pain and misery..." He was right behind me now.

A tear drops out, but I refuse to wipe it, in case he hasn't seen it and I can play it off.

He stays silent and I wonder what he is waiting for, before I hear his arm swinging at my head.

I dodge it and flip away, grabbing sword as protection.

He grabs his own and swings it wildly at me, making me block every attack with my own sword.

After a few minutes, he stops, and orders me to as well.

I immediately put my sword down, obeying him.

"You let emotions get the best of you." He states before slashing me on my cheek, making me whip my head the other way and fall to the ground. "A true assassin would never show emotion. They do not have emotion."

I dig my nails into the snow to keep myself from standing up to face him.

The stinging on my cheek flares up as I bring my hand up to try and check it.

I hiss lowly and drop my hand,"Yes, Master."

He puts the point of the sword on my back,"Do not make the same mistake again."

"I will not." My fists turn white, matching the snow, because of how tightly I am squeezing them shut.

"Good." He sounded satisfied to see me like this,"Now, get up. I have a mission."

I bite my tongue, stand up, and turn to him,"What mission?"

My cheek stings, and the wetness around it tells me it is a pretty good cut. Not that big or wide, but it hurts and it got the point across. Not emotion.

"Another one with the Brats. You seem to be doing well against them. But one more mistake is all it takes..." He warns me before turning to walk back inside.

I shiver slightly, because of the cold, and decide to follow him inside.

"Get your assassins ready," He orders,"It is a load of Children."

He didn't sound very pleased that the Reach would get more.

I knew that the Light was upset that they had so much power. That's why I wasn't aloud to take down the brats. If I did, they would have gone to the Reach.

"No doubt that the children will be protected by the Brats. It is a very big load. Over twenty. " He goes on briefing me for the mission,"We thought we should hold off giving them more. When they ask for them, we give a big supply."

Supply.

Like they are just things that they need.

She doesn't even let this faze her, already used to this idea. She is used to anything, because she is supposed to adapt. Still...the word sticks out like it shouldn't be used this way.