Chapter 18

Brooklyn's P.O.V.

The last body falls to the floor with a heavy thud as my knife pierces the skin.

Slowly, I make my way through the bodies draped across the floor as if they were only sleeping. The red they wear says otherwise.

"Get out!" One of the few left shouts from a room in front of me.

A small smirk breaks on to my face; as if the warning would save them.

My eyes pin them as soon as into the last room.

"Please no..." He trails off as I pull a knife from my belt.

"I come from the grace of Ra's al Ghul. You have crossed the demon head."

"We're sorry... we're sorry." They repeat together as they back away.

"I'm sure you are."

I don't bat an eye as the cold metal leaves the warmth of my hand and slices through the air and plunges itself into the chest of one of the men.

"Please no..." The other says as I walk towards him, making no sound as I do so. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry."

I close in on him, my hand stabbing into his abdomen. His eyes lock on mine in shock and they stay there, staring into mine until they can't.

Another thud sounds shortly afterwards, myself unaffected by everything that had transpired since I had snuck into the building.

I turn on my heel, walking over the swarm of bodies that had once been busy with work. They were busy with work before I came. They were busy with work before I killed them.

And I didn't feel a thing.

I wake in a cold sweat, my mind repeating the words of the last kill.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

I am too.

My chest heaves as I pull my legs closer to me, my eyes stinging as if his eyes were still burning into mine.

I still remember the light leaving his eyes. I still remember the weight of the knife in my hand. I remember it all. I remember the smell of the building; musky and dry. And it's not just him. I remember them all. Every single mission. Every single kill. Every single person.

They were all people. Living human beings. Most were horrible, but they were all people.

And I killed them.

My palms press into my eyes as I try to get the image out of my head. Before I know it, my palms are wet with tears flowing down my cheeks.

I cover my mouth to keep in a sob.

What have I done?

~:~:~

Nightwing's P.O.V

"Well, well, if it isn't Boy Wonder." A familiar voice says from behind me.

"Zee." I say, smiling as I turn around, "I didn't know you were coming in today."

She smiles and replies with, "I was called in on a favor."

My eyebrows draw together at this but I don't get to question it as Artemis and Wally walk in with Barbara.

"Zee!" Barbara smiles in greeting as the others do the same.

Zatanna smiles at the warm greetings before looking back to me with a smirk, "So, where is this assassin girl? I have heard a few whispers about her and how much of a pain she is."