Forty Four (Ethan)

Start from the beginning

I chuckled at her. "I'll try that some other time."

Despite Cathy Chua's threat, I became busier than ever. That whole week I was doing photo shoots and interviews for various international magazines. Who would've thought that being honest to my feelings would bring so much luck to me?

If there's one downside to all of it, it's that I was too busy to even talk to James. I wanted to make our relationship clear, I wanted to know where we stand, but I haven't got the chance yet.

My commitments would be done either late at night or at dawn, I couldn't bring myself to be selfish and call James, because I knew he was busy and tired studying for exams.

One particular night, after a tiring day of shooting, my van was nearing the condo when something caught my attention. There were several men in black suits standing by a black van just outside the condo building, it was a suspicious sight and somehow I couldn't help but feel that they were there for me.

There was a very valid reason for me to be paranoid. I was sure that they were monitoring me, I just didn't know who sent them; the Chua's or James' grandfather.

Since those men haven't really done anything besides watch everyone who would come in and out of the building, I thought it was for the best decision to just ignore them.

Mr. Hernandez called me to his office that week, and I was surprised to see James's mother in there. Mr. Hernandez left and gave some privacy when I arrived.

Nothing good would come out of that meeting, I already had that mindset.

"I'll be direct to the point." She said. "Don't drag my son with your publicity stunts. Do you know what kind of trouble you caused just to get attention?" She sounded really condescending. "Stop seeing him, stop using him, stop confusing him." She added calmly yet firmly.

"James has a mind of his own. He should be able to do whatever he wants." I replied. "He should be with whoever he wants to be with?"

"And you think that it's you?" She asked mockingly. "James is in a rebellious phase, I'm sure this would pass. So, don't take advantage of the situation. If you think you can use my son to get ahead in your career, you're sadly mistaken.

"Have you ever considered James' feelings?" I asked her, keeping my calm. "When you force him to marry Cathy, he was miserable. James has many things he wants to do; why can't you let him decide for himself what he wants to do with his life?"

"Like what? Making videos on the internet? What kind of future would that give him? Taking over the family business is the only he'll ever be successful."

"You're underestimating him, James is more capable than you think, why don't you trust him?"

"You don't have the right to tell me how to raise my son." She rebutted. "You're the one who's going to make him miserable, so don't go near him. Because of you, James could everything. Do you think love and freedom are enough to buy everything he needs? Wake up, kid, James doesn't have any future with you." She told me. "This would be my last warning to you." She said as she stood up. "You don't know what I and my family are capable of, boy." She threatened.

"What the hell is wrong with this week?" I sighed after she left. "Really? Whose side are on?" I asked Mr. Hernandez when he came back.

"What do you want me to do? Those people are threatening my business? Not all of my talents have powerful backers like Zoey Lopez like you do if I didn't do what she wants..." He reasoned out.

"That's exactly why people like them kept abusing their money and influence because everyone else is so afraid of them that they do whatever they ask." I replied. "I'm busy as it is, so please, if it's not work-related, don't call me here." I told him.