One (Teo)

I had come to the conclusion that the world had a sick sense of humour.

It was playing a practical joke on me. A quite annoying one at that.

The joke started on the plane. During dinner, I was served salad with pine nuts for appetizer, then for dessert, I was offered rocky road ice cream.

When I got off the plane, I knew how humid and hot it would be outside, so I decided to buy some ice cream to cool down, but then the only flavour of Magnum they had left was almond.

A big sign with my name, 'Matteo Lopez' awaited me as I walked out of the airport, the man holding the sign was snacking on some peanuts when I approached me.

The traffic was heavy. So, to pass the time I watched some cooking videos on YouTube, and no matter what I watch, videos of peanut butter cookies kept on popping on the recommended section.

I told everything to my childhood friend, Axel Salazar, over the phone, and he blatantly laughed at me. "Dude, don't be over dramatic, it's a coincidence, I'm sure the world doesn't want you dead." He laughed again and I stayed quiet.

"It feels like a bully keeps trying to feed me nuts even though he knows I am greatly allergic to them. Seriously, it's stressful."

"Maybe you'll relax while you're in traffic." Axel said with a chuckle.

"Urgh... Traffic here is the worst. Thank goodness for YouTube."

"Still watching Damien's cooking videos? How many times have you watched them? How many times have you repeated them?" Axel teased. I didn't react. "You're finally going to see him again. In person. The great Damien Licauco. What do you feel?"

"Afraid."

"Afraid? Shouldn't you be excited? He's the whole reason why you decided to study civil engineering at UST after all."

"That's not exactly true. It's Peter's dream to become a civil engineer, I'm just fulfilling that dream for him." I said a small smile. "But you're right, my choice of school is heavily influenced by Damien."

"Heavily influenced?" He couldn't sound more sarcastic. "Teo, he's the only reason why you chose to study all the way here in Manila, away from your parents. You chose UST because Damien is studying there. Seriously, do you know how much trouble that is for me?"

"Oh please, no one forced you to follow me. You wanted to follow your Dad's footstep, that's why you chose to study civil engineering at UST. He's an alumnus there, after all."

"Right." Axel chuckled. "You should be thankful that your Dad is an alumnus there too, or else your Mom would never even accommodate the idea of you studying there, away from her." He chuckled again. "So, what are your plans? How will you approach Damien?"

"I don't know, honestly. Things didn't go so well when my family went home last year." I replied guiltily.

I can still remember what happened very vividly. The start of the vacation was actually good. It wasn't as fun as the years before, since Peter wasn't around anymore, but Damien made sure that there was not a moment that I feel sad or depressed.

He made it his mission, those months, to make sure that I would have fun and smile all the time.

At that time, my feelings for him were already growing stronger, so I was very happy every time we were together.

We both have something in common; we lost a dear person in our lives, and that connection made us grew closer. By the end of my vacation, Damien and I were really close. I can't say best friends, but close to that.