Chapter 1

Rose

I will not speak, I do not have emotions, I am Rose De Agua

* * *

It happened five years ago,  I was eleven, it changed my life forever. I was asked to help with an experiment on a time machine, but something went horribly wrong and my feelings and emotions left me. They were stuck in time and could not be brought back. I was given a therapist, and after not even he could make me talk or show any emotions he told me to go over what I know in my head, to help keep my sane.

'I will not speak. I do not have emotions. I do not have emotions because I was part of an experiment. I am sixteen, but I look like a fifteen-year-old anyway. My name is Rose De Agua. The beach is where I go to be alone. That is the best time of the day.'

* * *

It was a Sunday that changed my life, again. As usual I found myself leaving my grotto at what looked like, according to the sun, twelve o'clock. I got half way down the beach and look back to where I had come from, but as well as seeing my footprints I see a grey sky above the mountains that my grotto is hidden in.

I am not afraid of storms, I can't be, so I see no reason to go back to my house, but there is something about this storm that makes it different. Maybe it is the way all the animals scavenging on the beach suddenly get a look of fear in their eyes. I don't know. I look up at the grey sky and start back to my house, that's when the first bolt strikes the beach fifty metres away. I hear alarm bells in my head, I know it is not safe, but I can't get my legs to move.

Another bolt hits the beach, ten metres away.

I start to run. i'm not a fast runner and I never joined the athletics team and my lungs are screaming so I stop. The wind brushes up sand and it stings my sleeveless arms; This time I hear the sizzling first and seconds after a bolt strikes the beach thirty centimetres away from where I stand catching my breath. I notice the storm has pink and gold ribbons of light spiralling round the lightning. I blink my eyes and the lights are gone, did I really see it?

I collapse with my back on the sand, breathing in short, sharp breaths through my mouth. Black spots appear at the edge of my vision. There is pain in my legs and chest from running.

It starts to rain. Big, heavy drops of rain cooling my sore body. I shut my eyes shielding them from the water, it feels peaceful. Then I hear the sizzling again. It can't get that close to me again, can it?

I hear a bang as the lightening hits its target, and then pain. I feel like my chest is on fire. I was wrong, it could hit me again.

More sizzling.

I try to roll out of the way, but I am not strong enough to even open my eyes.

BANG!

I scream.

I haven't made a noise in five years.

Pain, pain is all I can feel. Like someone has pressed a poker onto my chest and held it there.

Then I black out.

* * *

_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_

Hey my readers,

This is my first book I've shared with anyone (i have written many short stories). So, please comment on anything you don't like or you think i could change.

This book is dedicated to @nerd_Haddles  she is more than my Bestest and she is a main inspiration to my book.

So, to 

Stronger together? Together forever,

Rosie_Formby