Chapter Twenty One

C h a p t e r T w e n t y O n e
D i n n e r F o r T w o

"So how was dinner with Mr Diggory?" Sirius Black asked his daughter as the two sat at the large dining table in 12 Grimmauld Place

Both had been living in the building for the last few weeks, Evelyn had moved in just a few days after summer started. She loved being able to see her father so much, but she felt horrible that he had to deal with how upset she had been in the first week.

Evelyn finished her mouth full of food before replying to her father. "It was difficult," she admitted. "But I felt so much better after I had left. Maybe I just needed to talk about him. I think Mr Diggory needed to get it off his chest too."

"Well you could always tell your old man that sort of stuff. I never got the chance to hear much about you two."

"Dad," Evelyn warned with a smile.

Sirius was glad to see the change in his daughter in the space of a few weeks. When she first moved in, it was impossible to talk about anything without it reminding her of Cedric. But now she was able to talk about him, it didn't mean she had stopped missing or dreaming about him. But now she felt as though she didn't need go get upset anymore, like she had finally proven to herself that he was in a better place.

"What?" Sirius asked innocently.

"Fathers are suppose to be protective of boys going near their daughters," she laughed.

"Well I couldn't stop you if I wanted to. And besides I never had anything to hold against him, he seemed to treat you like a princess." Sirius explained as be took another bite of the dinner his daughter had made for the pair.

Evelyn smile remained on her face, but Sirius could see the look in her eyes had changed. "You know I had another dream about him last night."

"What happened in this one?" Her father asked curiously.

"I dreamed that he won and when be came back, I told him yes. Everything just seemed so perfect," she answered with a distant smile as she stared at the silver bracelet on her wrist.

Sirius knew what question his daughter was referring too. The father and daughter were very honest and open with each other. Evelyn liked being able to have conversation like this with her father, he had learned that judgement would help no one which was something she admired highly.

"You can still have perfect Evelyn. Cedric may not be here, but he will always be there." The man answered as he indicated to his heart. "Love is something you can't control. I know you will always love that boy, and you can still love him even when he isn't beside you."

Evelyn was touched by her father's words. He had encouraged the girl with conversations like this a few times, now that she didn't feel as depressed, this one had made the biggest impact.

"Thanks, Dad." The brunette whispered. Her father reached over to squeeze her hand comfortingly.

"Did you ever have dreams? You know, about mum?" Eve questioned as she took a sip of her drink. She wasn't afraid to ask the question, knowing that her father loved to talk about her mother.

"Of course I did, darling. For years I would dream about the first time I met her, or her favourite places. I also used to dream about how happy we were the day we had you. Although we did spent hours arguing over your name," the man spoke with a loving expression. He did let out an exaggerated huff before his last sentence, indicating how frustrated the situation had made him.

Evelyn laughed as she placed her drink down to look at her father with interest. "Who wanted a different name?"

"Well we both picked a name each, I had picked Evelyn and your mother had decided on Liana. We liked each other's choices so we decided to use one as your middle name. But that proved to be difficult as we each wanted our chosen name as your first," Sirius laughed as he thought about the countless arguments his wife would use to win her case.

"So how did you decide?"

"We used one of your mother's muggle tricks and flipped a coin to decide. At first I thought it would be a trick, but then I won."

"Do you think we'll get to see her again some day?"

Sirius thought for a moment before he answered his daughter. "Not by any magic, but one day when it's our time we'll go see her. And on that day, I'll see the strapping boy that won over my little girl and I'll scare the daylight out of him."

The father laughed as Eve gave him a playful shove in embarrassment. "I'm kidding! I would shake his hand, and then I would jinx him like a protective father should do."

Evelyn laughed shaking her head as her father sent her a wink, that signature troublesome smirk on his face.

Things may not have went as planned for Evelyn Black. But life moved on, she knew that someday when her time came, she would join Cedric up there. And she would tell him about her journeys and the stories of her life.

The return of the Dark Lord meant that darkness lurked around every corner, but that didn't stop Evelyn from enjoying the lightest moments of her life.

One day she would need those memories, when it came time to face the evil in the world, just one of those memories would give her a push.

The Black girl could never guarantee that they would win against The Dark Lord some day, but at least she would go down in the someone else's story as the girl who tried.