Chapter Twelve

C h a p t e r T w e l v e
C o m m o n R o o m C o m m o t i o n

On the following Monday, study hall was monitored by Professor Snape rather than the usual supervisor Professor McGonogall

The golden group sat in a row working on the questions that Professor Snape had provided for them. Evelyn and Hermione fired through the work while Harry and Ron voiced their concerns about the Yule Ball.

"This is mad," Ron complained. "At this rate, we'll be the only ones in our year without dates."

A grunt escaped the boy as Snape forced his head in the direction of his work. When Snape had moved further away, Ron continued.

"Well, us and Neville." He whispered to Harry.

"Yeah, but, then again, he can take himself," Harry laughed quitely.

"It might interest you to know
that Neville's already got someone," Hermione pointed out causing the boys to sign.

"Now I'm really depressed," Ron commented in a miserable tone.

"Well atleast he had the courage to ask someone," Eve remarked quietly, she thought it was sweet that Neville had asked Ginny. Her younger sister was very excited for the ball considering third years weren't allowed unless they were someone's date.

Evelyn noticed a piece of paper land onto Ron's textbook. She looked up to the twin brothers sat opposite them, both pretending to work under Snape's gaze.

Ron picked up the note and read it quietly aloud for the others to hear."'Get a move on or all the good ones will have gone.' Who you going with, then?"

Evelyn watched as Fred threw a scrunch of paper at Angelina Johnson's head. The girl turned to glare at him in annoyance.

"Oi, Angelina?" He whispered.

"What?"

"Do you wanna go to the ball with me?" Fred asked in a whisper as he mimed the question.

"To the ball?" The chaser smiled. "Yeah, all right."

Fred winked over at Ron who stupidly turned to the other female in the group. "Oi, Hermione, you're a girl."

Evelyn quickly tried to smack her brother in warning. Hermione already had a date, and besides Ron was going around this question the wrong way.

"Very well spotted."

"Come with one of us?" Ron questioned before he was smacked on the head with one of Snape's books. Harry was also hit, while Evelyn and Hermione were safe from a blow.

"Come on. It's one thing for a bloke
to show up alone, for a girl it's just sad." Ron stated.

"I won't be going alone, because, believe it or not, someone's asked me!" Hermione snapped before she stood from her desk to hand in her work. Evelyn signed before following the girl as she too had completed the work. Snape took the books with a blank expression.

"And I said yes!" Hermione growled as she stomped away.

"Well done Ronald," Eve stated sarcastically before she followed her friend out of the hall.

"Bloody hell. She's lying, right?" Ron whispered.

"If you say so," Harry answered before he looked up at the twins. "Has anyone asked Evelyn?"

"Oh little Evie got asked quite a few times actually!" George smirked.

"But she had already said yes to the first person," Fred added.

"Who?!" Ron demanded. The twins simply shrugged with a smirk, indicating that they wouldn't tell the answer.

"Please tell me it's not who I think it is," Harry groaned.

"Look, we've just gotta grit our teeth and do it," Ron announced. "Tonight, when we get back to the common room we'll both have partners. Agreed?"

"Agreed."

Both boys grunted in pain as there Professor once again shoved their noses into their books.

*****

"You know I don't think hugging it will reveal any secrets," Harry heard a voice state as he lay on one of the couches in the Common Room.

He sat up, placing the golden egg beside him as he turned to look up at a smiling Evelyn who had came down the staircase from her dorm.

"Hey," the boy greeted. "What have you been up to?"

"I was just sending a letter to dad, I told him about the first task and about the Yule Ball. Now I just need to find a bloody dress." Eve answered as she sat in one of the arm chairs near the fire place.

Harry laughed at Evelyn's expression, she was not a fan of dresses. Usually she would wear them to keep her mother happy. "I sent one to him today too, explained to him about the egg. Hopefully he'll have some kind of idea."

"You should talk to Cedric, he could give you a clue?" Eve suggested.

Harry signed as he heard the name, "I'm guessing that's who you're going with then?" Harry asked, although in his mind he knew the answer was clear.

Evelyn watched the boy sadly, she did really like Harry. But she could never see him asking her or actually liking her back. "Yeah," she admitted with a small smile.

"Great," Harry mumbled. Evelyn felt sorry for him, she felt like she had to give him a real explanation, that she couldn't wait for him like a love struck teenager.

Evelyn opened her mouth but was interrupted as they heard a commotion enter the Common Room.

Ron was being guided into the room by Ginny and her friends. He looked sickly white as Ginny guided him into one of the chairs.

"It's all right, Ron. It's okay, it doesn't matter," she assured.

"What happened to you?" Eve asked as she jumped up to help her brother and sister.

"He just asked Fleur Delacour out," Ginny answered.

"What?" Eve asked in shock.

"What did she say?" Harry asked as he came to stand beside the girl.

"Surely she said no," Eve muttered but gasped as her brother began to shake his head. "She said yes?"

"Don't be silly. There she was, walking by. You know how I like it when they walk, I couldn't help it, it just sort of slipped out."

"Actually, he sort of screamed at her.
It was a bit frightening," Ginny commented as she looked at her older sister.

"And what did you do then?" Harry questioned.

"What else? I ran for it!" The redhead replied. "I'm not cut out for this, Harry. I don't know what got into me."

Just then the Patil twins had walked by, both smiling at the boy who lived as they passed. "Hi, Harry" they greeted in sync.

Evelyn gave Harry a quick nudge. "Two boys without dates, and there's two girls without dates which equals..." She trailed off as she looked at Harry hoping he would see her idea.

Harry looked down at the girl confused before realisation hit him and he ran to catch up with the twins.

Evelyn smiled with the shake of a head before she turned to her brother. "Okay Ron, I think we should get you into bed."