Chapter Four

C h a p t e r F o u r
U n f o r g i v a b l e C u r s e s

The young students stared intrigued at their new DADA professor

The young students stared intrigued at their new DADA professor. His glass eye rolled around the room, staring straight back at them. His eye focusing on two students in particular that had caught his own interest.

"Alastor Moody. Ex-Auror, Ministry malcontent, and your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher." The mad teacher stated from the front of the class as he began to scratch 'Moody' on the chalkboard.

"I am here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?"

The class sat in silence, most too nervous to speak in front on the strange man due to his reputation for being a lunatic. Evelyn and Harry shared a brief glance showing that they didn't like their new teacher.

"When it comes to the Dark Arts, I believe in a practical approach.
But first, which of you can tell me
how many Unforgivable Curses there are?"

Evelyn's eyes widened at the topic. Unforgivable curses were not a joyous subject to talk about, it was safe to say they were frowned upon in the Wizarding World. And they weren't often used. Evelyn could remember one occasion where her papa had mentioned them.

She had read about the unforgivable curses, but since then Evelyn had hoped to avoid the subject as much as possible.

"Three, sir." Hermione stuttered.

Moody sharply returned to the chalk board. His body blocking Evelyn's line of sight to see what he was writing. "And they are so named?" He demanded.

"Because they are unforgivable." Hermione answered with a gulp, her expression showing she was fearful of the subject. "The use of any one of them will-"

"Will earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban, correct."

Evelyn and Harry could now see that that Moody had written 'UNFORGIVABLE' on the chalk board.

"The Ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different!" Moody snarled. "You need to know what you're up against! You need to be prepared. You need to find another place to put your chewing gum besides the underside of your desk, Mr. Finnigan!"

Moody had his back turned to his class for most of his speech. The students were shocked as he finished, all turning to look at Seamus for confirmation.

"No way," Seamus exclaimed. "The old codger can see out the back of his head!"

Moody turned and launched a piece of chalk in Seamus' direction. Many of the students including Harry and Evelyn ducked their heads to avoid being hit.

"And hear across classrooms!" Moody yelled. At this stage everyone in the class was terrified of the man with the scarred face as he approached the first row of tables.