Chapter Twenty

C h a p t e r T w e n t y
N o t S o G o o d G o o d b y e s

C h a p t e r T w e n t yN o t S o G o o d G o o d b y e s

The next few days were the hardest for Evelyn. She had spent hours listening to people she didn't even know approach her and talk about how sorry they felt for her, and how great Cedric was.

It annoyed her that strangers couldn't just leave her alone. People just wanted to gossip about what had happened, all expressing their own conspiracy theories.

Evelyn had got so fed up that at one point she had started screaming at a group of Ravenclaw girls who had surrounded her to ask her what she thought had happened to Cedric. Evelyn had been pulled into Dumbledore's office, who wanted to speak to her about the incident.

He sympathized with the girl, explaining to her that he didn't blame her for her actions. He gave her words of wisdom, which Evelyn appreciated. He talked about how strong individuals were allowed to show weakness.

Evelyn appreciated that her headmaster didn't treat her like a fragile doll, which was how most of the Gryffindor students had been treating her. Especially Harry, Ron and Hermione.

The brunette found it difficult to speak to her friends in those next few days. She didn't avoid them but she didn't know how to interact with them.

The whole school had a different air to it after the news of the Dark Lord's return. On the last day of school, all the students including Durmstrange and Beauxbatons were gathered into the Great hall.

Not a soul spoke as everyone took a seat. Evelyn sat in a row with her Gryffindor friends with Harry beside her. Both would have usually smiled at each other, or even held hands in support. But neither did as they were both dealing with the aftermath of Cedric's death and Voldermort's return.

Eve kept her eyes focused on the headmaster at the front of the hall. She refused to let her thoughts wonder, knowing that her mind would go back to him. The boy she dreamed about every night. Sometimes she would dream about the simple things, like studying in the library together or drinking butterbeer at The Three Broomsticks. Other times she dreamed that she could see him, but she couldn't reach him. He would be in front of her, just smiling but no matter how many steps she took, the distance between them stayed the same.

The students watched sadly as Dumbledore struggled to form his words. "Today, we acknowledge a really terrible loss," he began slowly.
Cedric Diggory was, as you all know exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded and, most importantly a fierce, fierce friend."

Evelyn looked down as she clenched her eyes shut, willing herself not to cry. Her determined mindset made her look back up again, she took a deep breath before continuing to listen to her headmaster.

"Now, I think, therefore, you have
the right to know exactly how he died.
You see Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort!"

Evelyn expected people to begin muttering with their friends upon hearing the name of the feared wizard. She was surprised when no one made a sound, all sitting and listening respectfully.

"The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so, I think would be an insult to his memory. Now, the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, and reminds us that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues...our hearts beat as one.

In light of recent events the bonds of friendship we've made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain.
You remember that and we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest, and brave and true, right to the very end."

*****

Evelyn stayed away from the large crowd of students who had gathered in the courtyard to say their goodbyes. Instead she went to a more quiet area which overlooked the black lake.

She stared at the beautiful view, remembering the times she had stood there with Cedric and talked about anything and everything.

As much as she pushed herself to not think about him, she found it impossible. Eve had too many important memories with the older boy. He was one of her best friends, her first kiss and she knew that she was falling in love with him. She was ready to say yes to being his girlfriend before his tragic death.

All the memories focused around Hogwarts. And as much as she loved her home, she couldn't wait to get away from it for now.

Evelyn looked downwards as she heard commotion erupting. From her place on one of the upper corridors, she could see the Durmstrang students entering the boats to travel towards their ship.

Eve noticed Viktor in the crowd, the boy sending her a sad smile as he waved. Evelyn returned both gestures before watching him board one of the school boats.

"Hey," a voice called.

The brunette turned to see her brother coming towards her. A small smile appeared on her face, one of the first she had managed to conjure in the last few days that was genuine.

"Hey," she replied as Ron stopped beside her.

"Come on, we need to go find Harry and Hermione before the train comes."

Evelyn took a last look at the landscape, admiring the scene gave her some peace of mind. Her brother noticed her pause, slowly asking "Are you ready?"

"Yeah, let's go." She answered as they headed down the corridor.

The pair quickly found their other friends, all sharing smiles while Evelyn managed another small one which sent some relief into the group.

"Do you think we'll ever just have a quiet year at Hogwarts?" Ron asked. Hermione and Harry laughed at his question, quickly denying the idea. "Oh, well. What's life without a few dragons?"

Evelyn could feel herself starting to become upset again, she couldn't understand what triggered it but her chest felt heavy as she took a deep breath. The itch in her eyes revealing the desperate need to blink as she attempted to stop tears from building.

The boys who had began to walk away stopped noticing that Evelyn hadn't moved, and Hermione was watching her concerned.

Eve raised her head to see her brother and friends watching her sadly. "Everything's going to change now,
isn't it?" She asked to no one in particular. Everyone already knew the answer.

Harry stepped forward pulling the girl into a comforting embrace. Both savoured the feeling knowing that they had been distant in the last few days, and that this would probably be one of the last hugs they would share with each other in the months to come.