Chapter Eleven

C h a p t e r E l e v e n
O l d T r i c k s

It was only the day after the Yule Ball was announced that people began to ask others to be their date

Evelyn was surprised at how keen everyone was. After the dance lesson with McGonogall she didn't dread the idea any more but that didn't make her excited for it either.

The young girl was currently walking along the covered bridge in her normal clothes, as it was a beautiful Saturday. She was enjoying the peacefulness when a voice approached her from behind.

"Excuse me," someone called. "I think you dropped this."

Evelyn turned confused, but she was pleasantly surprised to see Cedric stood there. Her mind instantly went back to the memory of how they first met around the same time last year, he had used the same line then as an excuse to speak to her.

She smirked at the boy as she cocked her head to the side, "You're not still using that same trick to talk to girls, are you?"

"Only the special ones," he grinned before pulling out a small delicately wrapped box.

"Cedric, what are you doing?" Eve asked as the boy passed her the box.

"Just open it," he encouraged. He watched nervously as the girl removed the paper to reveal a square jewellery box.

"Ced-!" Eve started to protest.

"Don't start, just open the box!" He laughed.

Evelyn opened the lid of the jewellery box to real a beautiful silver bracelet. The design was a simple silver band which had two small charms attached to it. One of the charms was the letter 'E' and the other was a small sapphire.

"Oh my god," the girl gasped as she carefully took the small bracelet out the box, she was gentle with fear that she might break it.

"Here let me put it on," Cedric offered as he took the bracelet and unclipped the tiny clasp.

Cedric attached the piece of jewellery around Evelyn's right wrist. The girl admired the item for a second before she threw her arms around Cedric's neck. The boy laughed as he caught the girl and returned the hug.

When they stepped away, Cedric looked down at the girl with an affectionate smile. He was crazy about her, and what he was about to ask would prove it.

"Thank you so much for this," Evelyn grinned, her heart swelled at the gesture as she stared up at her best friend.

"Now I have something to ask you."

"And what's that?" Evelyn smiled.

"Would you, Lyn Black, go to the Yule Ball with me?"