10-DINNER WITH THE CARTERS

Diane's POV

         I could feel Greg's eyes on me as I helped myself with some  Salisbury steaks along with gravy and some mashed potatoes.

Heavenly.

"Diane, meet Greg, he's my nephew"Mr Gabriel spoke.

They are cousins.

"We already met"Greg said. I noticed John who had his eyes stuck to the food,  look at me and then at Greg.

I noticed his fists clench under the table.

"Yea, we know each other "I quickly said, afraid of what Greg might tell the family.

"Wow, how did you guys meet? "Miss Kate asked.

I think Greg noticed my uneasiness. "We just bumped into each other at a restaurant and became good friends ever since"he lied.

I felt the tension in my body ease up.

"So tell me about you "Mr Gabriel said. He had his eyes on me. It felt like one of those scenes where the rich boy brought his poor bride home who he had fallen in love with and the parents interrogates her. Well, all that except the falling in love part.

"I run a small firm. I graduated with a degree in interior design "I said. My hands were sweaty cause I was nervous.

"And your family? "Mr Gabriel inquired.

Just keep calm. No need to get all emotional.

"I have a younger brother, Adrian. Well he's not really my brother,  he's my cousin. I was raised by my uncle"I explained.

I felt uneasy talking about the subject. I hadn't really spoken to mum and dad since the incident. I knew they were worried cause they left a number of voice mails.

"And your parents? "His questions were getting annoying. But I understood he just wanted to get to know me more.

"I don't know them. I only just found out recently that my dad was just my uncle"I felt uncomfortable on the chair.

"Oh, I'm sorry dear"a look of worry flashed over Mrs Sarah's face"My husband can be nosy sometimes"

"It's alright ma. I understand "

"Call me mum"she chimed.

This is getting so awkward. She's being so sweet to me. I feel sorry for getting married to her son for money.

It was the truth.

"Forgive my curiosity "Mr Gabriel flashed a smile for the first time that evening. "It's just that few days ago my son was so adamantly against getting married. But then he came to us saying he was ready. It all happened so fast "

I turned to look at John who hadn't said anything since I got here. Not even a simple hi. He took a sip of his wine.

"I wasn't ready to get married. But then I decided to, I wanted Diane to be happy "he said.

What a smooth liar.

"You're really a gem dear, you made J change his mind. He must really love you"Kate commented.

Love? Yea right. If only they knew.

We finished dinner and dessert was served. After eating, Mrs Sarah gave me a tour of the mansion. She seemed so happy that her son was finally getting married.

We went through photos of young John. How did he turn into a grumpy jerk? He looked so adorable.

"Thanks for accepting J's flaws. I know he's not perfect, but I'm glad he has someone like you"