Year 7.5

Fun fact: I had the ending confrontation mostly planned out since basically the very beginning. Not that you can tell given the last time I updated.

Warning: First bullet point is sad.

• I'm not sure how since I've changed quite a bit of stuff, but Snape still dies.

• "You have fought valiantly. Lord Voldemort knows how to value bravery..." speech

• "... I speak now, Harry Potter, directly to you. Your beloved Weasley is here with me. You have permitted your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. I shall wait for one hour in the Forbidden Forest. If, at the end of that hour, you have not come to me, have not given yourself up, then battle recommences. This time, I shall enter the fray myself, Harry Potter, and I shall find you, and I shall punish every last man, woman, and child who has tried to conceal you from me, starting with Weasley. One hour."

• Harry is horrified. Not Fred... Oh, God.

• Luna reveals the vial with Snape's memories.

• Harry goes to view them.

• Most of them are the same as in canon. The most prominent exception is:

"I have done my part in keeping Harry safe! Now I'm supposed to happy to hear he's been raised like a pig for slaughter!"

"Severus, I know you care for Harry, but—"

"But nothing. I already lost Lily, I don't want to lose Harry, too."

• Harry doesn't say good-bye to Sirius or Remus. It would be too painful.

With every passing second, Fred expected to see Harry appear from the trees. Yet as the hour drew to a close, and still no sight of him, he began to hope.

Two Death Eaters rejoined them.

"No sign of him, my Lord," Dolohov said.

Voldemort's expression did not change. The red eyes burned. "I thought he would come." His voice was high and clear, but most of his followers eyed him in worshipful fascination. "I expected him to come."

"I was, it seems... mistaken."

"You weren't."

And to Fred's horror, Harry stepped into the firelight.

"HARRY, NO!" he screamed, struggling to get free. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? GET OUT!"

Harry did not look his way.

"Quiet," Rowle said, flicking his wand.

Voldemort had his own wand pointed at Harry, who made no move to defend himself. "Harry Potter. The Boy Who Lived."

Fred continued to fight, feeling the ropes digging painfully into his wrists. But it was no use.

As Voldemort uttered the words, Harry's eyes finally moved to meet Fred's. There was pain and sorrow in them for all of a split second before the spell hit.

The fic is almost done. Can't wait.