Year 4.9

I'm losing motivation to write and edit this story...

Despite not interviewing with Rita Skeeter, the woman made sure to write exclusively about him.

Luna was especially angry on Harry's behalf. "Can you believe this?" she snapped, slamming the Daily Prophet onto the table, unusually irked. "You said she didn't interview you."

"She didn't!" Harry said. "But that doesn't mean she can't write about anything."

"She's slandering you," Luna said. "You can be fined for that."

One particular part had really annoyed them.

Harry has at last found love at Hogwarts. His close friend, Colin Creevey, says that Harry is rarely seen out of the company of one Luna Lovegood, a stunningly pretty girl in third year.

Luna was actually closer to Neville, though the latter would deny that he had a crush on her. Harry knew Neville wouldn't believe the Prophet, but it would still hurt to even think Luna was not interested.

Parkinson, of course, had something to say. She glared at Luna. "Stunningly pretty? Her? What was she judging against- a chipmunk?"

"If she was, then she's clearly blind," Luna said coolly. "Chipmunks are adorable animals."

Fred Weasley was in his own state of unhappiness. Ever since the article had come out, he had been less than cheerful.

"You're not worried about the article, are you?" George said. "You know Harry and Luna are just friends."

"What makes you think it has to do with Harry and Luna?" Fred protested.

George raised a disbelieving eyebrow.

"Okay, maybe I am worried," Fred conceded.

"Harry doesn't even like girls, you know? Not like he likes you."

"Don't be ridiculous."

But he immensely perked up after that.

"Dragons. I have to face bloody dragons."

"Breathe, Harry," Remus murmured.

Harry had been called up after dinner and was delighted to see his guardians waiting for him.

"People actually want to do this?" Harry groaned.

"Indeed," Snape spoke up from where he stood to one side.

"Look, Harry, I think I may have an idea of who put you in," Sirius said.

Instantly, Harry's head snapped around. "Who?"

"Kakaroff," Sirius answered.

"He wouldn't," Remus growled.

Snape stiffened. "What makes you think that, Black?"

"Harry, did you mention your dream to Snape?"

"No, I've been trying to forget about it."

"What dream?" Snape demanded.

"It was about Vol- er, You-Know-Who," Harry said. "He had something planned for me."

"And this tournament is perfect for that," Snape muttered.

"But where does Karkaroff fit in to this?"

"He was a Death Eater," Sirius said. "But he was released. Something about seeing the errors of his ways and shit."

"For fuck's sake, Sirius, mind your language!" Remus snapped, exasperated. He clapped a hand over his mouth. "Fuck," he whispered. "I mean, shit! Shoot!"

"Moony!" Sirius gasped. "What did I tell you? You're a werewolf, not a swearwolf!"

"Not that again!"

"Will you both knock it off?" Snape snapped, though he was glad to hear Harry's laughter.

"Right, right. Anyway, this all can't be a coincidence. Your dream, the Death Eater attack at the Quidditch World Cup, the Goblet of Fire fiasco."

"So he's trying to kill me." Harry frowned. "That's not new information."

"But the question is he what is he planning on doing." Remus shook his head. "Is he hoping Harry will die one of the tasks?"

"I don't think so," Snape said. "The Dark Lord has wanted to kill Harry himself."

"How do you know?" Harry asked. He knew Snape had been a Death Eater, but to what extent he never found out.

Snape hesitated. Should he tell Harry that he was the reason he was in the situation he was in? As much as he would deny it, he had come to care for the little brat, and to lose him like he did Lily would cause more pain than the Cruciatus Curse.

"You should probably get to bed," Remus said quietly, sensing Snape's inner turmoil. "We'll talk more later."

"Okay." Harry sent a concerned look at Snape before standing up and leaving.

Snape wondered if he would ever look at him that way again if he knew.

"What?" said Cedric, staring at Harry.

"Dragons," said Harry. "They've got four, one for each of us, and we've got to get past them."

"Are you sure?" Cedric said, panic flickering in his gray eyes.

"Dead sure. I've seen them."

"But how did you find out? We're not supposed to know..."

"Never mind," said Harry quickly. "But I'm not the only one who knows. Fleur and Krum will know by now- Maxime and Karkaroff both saw the dragons too."

"Well." Cedric cleared his throat. "Thank you for telling me."

"Of course. You are the Hogwarts champion, aren't you?"

A grin appeared on Cedric's face. "We are, aren't we?"

The familiar clunking alerted them of Professor Moody's presence.

"Come with me, Potter," he growled. "Diggory, off you go."

Harry stared apprehensively at Moody. Had he overheard them?

"Er- Professor, I'm supposed to be in Herbology-"

"Never mind that, Potter. In my office, please..."

Harry followed him, wondering what was going to happen to him now. He followed Moody into his office. Moody closed the door behind them and turned to look at Harry, his magical eye fixed upon him as well as the normal one.

"That was a very decent thing you just did, Potter," Moody said quietly. "Sit down."

Harry did, waiting.

"So... found out about the dragons, have you?"

"Apparently so."

"Got any ideas how you're going to get past your dragon yet?" said Moody.

"No," said Harry.

"Well, I'm not going to tell you," said Moody gruffly. "I don't show favoritism, me. I'm just going to give you some good, general advice. And the first bit is- play to your strengths."

"Play to my strengths," Harry repeated.

"Yes. What are you best at?"

Harry tried to concentrate. What was he really best at? The first thing that came to mind was-

"I'm good at research," Harry muttered to himself.

"My second piece of general advice," said Moody, "is to find something that will enable you to get what you need."

Harry ended up in the library all afternoon.

I hope you are at least 64% satisfied with this chapter because I am not