Year 3.8

A bit shorter than usual, but here's the next chapter

Over the holidays, Professor Trelawney freaked out about the thirteen people at the dining table and the first to rise who would die. Harry, of course, stood up when he was finished, making her panic again. At this point, death didn't seem like the worst option.

Harry's anti-Dementor lesson with Remus came up on the Thursday they came back from the holidays.

He took out his own wand and indicated that Harry should do the same. "The Patronus Charm I am going to try and teach you is highly advanced magic, Harry- well beyond Ordinary Wizarding Level."

"Okay."

"Do you know what it does?" Remus knew that Harry would've done some research before coming.

"It acts as a shield against the Dementor," Harry said promptly.

"Correct," Remus praised. "The Patronus is a kind of positive force, a projection of the very things that the Dementor feeds upon- hope, happiness, the desire to survive- but it cannot feel despair, as real humans can, so the Dementors can't hurt it. But I must warn you, Harry, that the charm might be too advanced for you. Many qualified wizards have difficulty with it."

"What does yours look like? I know they're different for everyone."

A displeased expression crossed Remus' scarred face. "A wolf."

"Ah." Harry could understand his reluctance to answer. "And how do you conjure it?"

"With an incantation, which will work only if you are concentrating, with all your might, on a single, very happy memory."

A very happy memory? Somehow, that seemed more difficult than actually casting it. The Dursleys were a source of bad memories, and despite his happiness at Hogwarts, there were plenty of moments that Harry would not want to dwell on. Finally, he settled on the first time he received an O on an assignment.

"The incantation is this: Expecto patronum!"

"Expecto patronum," Harry repeated, waving his wand. A wisp of silvery gas whooshed out of his wand. "Did you see that?" Harry said excitedly.

"Very good," said Remus, smiling at the childlike joy on his face. "Right, then- ready to try it on a Dementor?"

The excitement dimmed, but Harry nodded.

Remus released the Boggart.

The Boggart, in the form of a Dementor, rose from the box slowly and floated toward Harry, who raised his wand. "Expecto patronum! Expecto-"

But his mother's words rang in his head. "No! Harry! Not Harry! Please- I'll do anything!"

Harry jolted awake, sweat trickling down his face. Remus helped him up.

"It's alright," Remus said, handing him some chocolate. "I didn't expect you to do it the first time."

(pottersir on Tumblr)

Harry stood up shakily, gratefully taking the chocolate. "Wait a second. Was that a pun you just made?"

Remus grinned. "Sirius may have rubbed off on me. In more ways than one," he added more quietly.

"What do you mean?"

Remus coughed. "Er- nothing. Are you ready to try again?"

Harry's next memory, of him riding Buckbeak, didn't work either. "Bet you didn't expect me to get it right the second time, either," he tried to joke.

"Listen, Harry- perhaps we should leave it here for tonight. This charm is ridiculously advanced... I shouldn't have suggested putting you through this..."

"No!" Harry jumped to his feet. "I'll have one more go! I'm not thinking of happy enough things, that's what it is... hang on..."

The moment when he'd received his Hogwarts letter, and would be leaving the Dursleys for Hogwarts! If that wasn't a happy memory, he didn't know what was...

"Ready?" said Remus. "Concentrating hard? All right- go!"

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!" Harry shouted.

The screaming started up again, but this time it was softer, as if it were underwater. The Dementor had stopped, and then a silvery shadow burst out of Harry's wand.

Remus put the Boggart back into the box with a "Riddikulus!" and Harry slumped, panting. "Excellent, Harry! That was definitely a start!"

Harry smiled, immensely pleased with himself. "Can we have another go?"

"Not now," Remus said. "You've had enough for one night. But how about next week, this time?"

"Okay."