Year 4.7

Fear not, Dumbledore will say it calmly

"My name came out," Harry said, still reeling. "My name came out of the bloody goblet."

The other champions stared in shock but didn't get a chance to speak because Ludo Bagman appeared.

"Extraordinary!" he muttered, squeezing Harry's arm. "Absolutely extraordinary! Gentlemen... lady. May I introduce- incredible though it may seem- the fourth Triwizard champion?"

"You make it sound like I planned this," Harry growled.

"He is too young," Fleur said.

"Exactly!" Harry agreed, not offended at all by her words.

"It's down in the rules, you're obliged... Harry will just have to do the best he-"

Just then, the Headmasters, along with Mr. Crouch, and Professors Snape and McGonagall, came in.

"Madame Maxime!" said Fleur at once, striding over to her headmistress. "They are saying that this little boy is to compete also!"

"What is the meaning of this, Dumbly-dorr?" Maxime said.

"I'd rather like to know that myself, Dumbledore," said Professor Karkaroff. "Two Hogwarts champions? I don't remember anyone telling me the host school is allowed two champions- or have I not read the rules carefully enough?"

"C'est impossible," said Madame Maxime, whose enormous hand with its many superb opals was resting upon Fleur's shoulder. "Hogwarts cannot have two champions. It is most injust."

"We were under the impression that your Age Line would keep out younger contestants, Dumbledore," said Karkaroff, his steely smile still in place, though his eyes were colder than ever. "Otherwise, we would, of course, have brought along a wider selection of candidates from our own schools."

Dumbledore turned to Harry. "Did you put your name into the Goblet of Fire, Harry?" he asked calmly.

Harry shook his head. "No, sir."

"Did you ask an older student to put it into the Goblet of Fire for you?"

"No."

"Ah, but of course he is lying!" Madame Maxime said.

"He could not have crossed the Age Line," said Professor McGonagall sharply. "I am sure we are all agreed on that-"

"Dumbly-dorr must have made a mistake with the line," said Madame Maxime, shrugging.

"It is possible, of course," Dumbledore said.

"Dumbledore, you know perfectly well you did not make a mistake!"Professor McGonagall snapped. "Really, what nonsense! Harry could not have crossed the line himself, and as Professor Dumbledore believes that he did not persuade an older student to do it for him, I'm sure that should be good enough for everybody else!"

"I swear on my magic that I did not intend to be picked in any way, shape, or form," Harry said. There was a brief flash of light as Magic accepted his word. "There, undeniable proof that I am not lying."

"That is all very well," Crouch said, "but we must follow the rules, and the rules state clearly that those people whose names come out of the Goblet of Fire are bound to compete in the tournament."

Harry groaned to himself. Great, there goes another year of peace.

He waited impatiently as Mr. Crouch gave them the champions their instructions and was very glad when Dumbledore dismissed them.

"This is just perfect," Harry muttered to Cedric. "An opportunity for someone other than me to get the glory comes up and I steal it."

"Hey, it's not your fault," Cedric said. "And I'll make sure the Hufflepuffs know the truth."

"Thanks, Cedric."

Cedric separated and went into the Hufflepuff common room. Harry braced himself and entered the Ravenclaw common room.

All the Ravenclaws were waiting for him. "Harry!" Luna called, running up to him. "Are you okay?"

Harry looked around. "I didn't want to enter. You know that, right?"

"Don't worry, Harry," Anthony Goldstein reassured him. "We believe you."

Harry sagged in relief. "Really?"

"Of course." Cho Chang smiled at him. "But I don't think the Gryffindors do."

"Yeah, you should've seen Ron. He looked so mad."

"Of course he was."

The next morning, Harry felt much better. He knew he would still have to compete, but at least not everyone believed he cheated.

He was approached by a very worried Fred as he was sitting down. "How did that happen?" he demanded.

"I don't know."

"You didn't even want to enter," Fred went on frantically. "I believe you, don't worry."

Any remaining tension in Harry's shoulders faded at his words. "Thanks."

"Ron, on the other hand..."

"How did you do it?" the aforementioned Weasley said as he stormed up.

"I didn't do it."

"Sure." Ron was not convinced.

Fred stood in front of Harry, blocking him from Ron's view. "Ron, use your brain. Why would Harry put his name in the goblet?"

"Why wouldn't he?" Ron glared up at him. "A thousand Galleons. Who wouldn't want that?"

"You don't know him," Fred snapped.

"And you do?"

"He's my- my friend," Fred faltered.

Ron scowled at Fred before turning and sitting with the Gryffindors.

Fred shook his head and turned to Harry. "Don't listen to him, Harry. He's never been the brightest."

"It's fine, Fred. I'll be okay. And, for the record, I made a vow saying that I didn't intend to participate. So, hopefully, no one will be mad about that."

"You don't think he put his name in the goblet?" Ron said in disbelief later in the common room.

"No, I don't," Hermione said firmly. "You should have seen him when Professor Dumbledore mentioned the death toll. He looked very umcomfortable."

"Not to mention," Neville added from where he sat not far from them, "Harry swore a wizard's oath, according to Diggory. He never entered himself."

Ron felt a little sheepish at his outburst. "But it's always him," he protested weakly.

"And why is that?" Fred said icily, still unhappy with Ron's earlier display. "Because he's Harry Potter; he gets put in the limelight whether he likes it or not."

"Okay, okay!" Ron leaned away, alarmed by the anger in his brother's eyes. "Blimey, you're acting like an overprotective boyfriend or something."

He had turned away, so he missed Fred knocking over his ink bottle in surprise. Lee Jordan managed to snatch his parchment away before the ink could damage it- not that there was much written on it to begin with.

Hermione eyed Fred keenly before turning to correct Ron on his own essay.

Remember how in the books Ron was always making seemingly absurd predictions that actually came true? (ie. joking about Tom Riddle killing Moaning Myrtle in CoS and saying that Harry would be betrayed by a friend in GoF). Seems like he's doing it now, too *shoots Fred a meaningful look*