Year 6.3

Greetings, wonderful people. Have another chapter.

A/N: November 27, 2023

This part will likely be split into two or three chapters in the revision.

——————————

• Curious despite himself, Harry decides to go to Slughorn's party at least once. He invites Luna as a friend.

• It doesn't go horribly, but it does become slightly awkward when Slughorn pulls Snape in.

• Draco is dragged in by Filch, Snape pulls him out to speak with him alone (you know the drill, his name is Jill.)

• Harry follows and his belief that Draco is a Death Eater is sealed.

• He wants to confront Draco about it, but not until at least after Christmas break after he's processed what he heard.

• Remus comes home in time to relax for the holidays. He says he was with Fenrir Greyback and the other werewolves and claims he's fine, though he's rather jumpy. Harry probably would have missed it if he hadn't done the same thing when he was still living at Privet Drive.

• The Weasleys come over for a visit.

• Fred convinces Harry to join in a game of Quidditch.

[The following piece was written quite a while ago and I still like it, so I'm including it, with minor revisions.]

On foot, Harry moved with a fair amount of grace for a sixteen-year-old. On a broom, not so much.

"You're holding it too tightly," George said.

"I think I'm holding on just fine."

Remus and Sirius watched, amused, as Harry somehow tightened his grip on the broomstick handle even more, his knuckles white. "So like Lily," Remus murmured. "Excellent in his studies, yet an absolute klutz off the ground."

"Are you sure you're not talking about yourself?" Sirius teased.

"Fuck you."

"Come on, Harry!" Ron shouted. "The Snitch is waiting."

Harry lifted his head, saw just how high the Snitch was hovering, and immediately dropped his head again. "Nope, not happening."

"I got it!" Fred shouted and dived down.

"Fred!" Harry squealed, covering his eyes.

"Gotcha!" Fred gloated, holding up his fist. "Harry, you can look now."

Harry peeked through his fingers. "You bloody idiot! Why did you have to do that Wonky whatsitsname?"

"Wronski Feint," Ron corrected him.

"Whatever."

They played another game, this time with Harry attempting to join in instead of hovering in place a few feet off the ground.

He did better this time, though he yelped at sudden movement and nearly fell off at one point, only for Fred to catch him.

"Harry, I love you, but you have got to stop falling for me," he said, shaking his head in mock sternness.

• They continue playing.

"Had fun?" Sirius asked as Harry finally dismounted his broom — without landing on his face this time.

"Ehh... I guess. But I'm still rubbish at it."

"You were fine," Ginny reassured him. "When we get home, I can guarantee Fred won't be shutting up about your moves."

"I nearly fell off because of a passing bird," Harry deadpanned.

"But you didn't," Ginny said. "Because Fred saved you. Your very own knight in shining armor."

Harry blushed. "Shut up."

"Knight in shing armor." Fred slung an arm over his shoulders. "I like the sound of that." He grinned down at Harry, who blushed further.

Remus surveyed the muddy group. "Better get cleaned up, cub."

"Gladly."

"Should I join you?" Fred shouted as Harry rushed off to the bathroom.

Harry whipped around and looked at him. "Wha —?" was all he managed to get out before he tripped over his feet.

"It would save water." Fred smiled innocently as Harry straightened himself up.

Harry sent him a glare.

"No?"

Harry rolled his eyes before disappearing, ignoring the laughter from Sirius, Ginny, and George.

• The bird Harry mentioned was an ordinary sparrow. Yes, this is extremely vital information.

• Back at Hogwarts, Harry notices how Draco is really trying to stay away from him. Parkinson is almost always there with him, and there's no way Harry is going to try and separate those two. It isn't possible.

• Another lesson with Dumbledore. He shows the tampered memory of Tom Riddle asking about Horcruxes and asks Harry to persuade Slughorn for the real memory.

• Harry later mentions Horcruxes to his parents. Sirius recognizes it, having grown up the way he had.

• They figure out the diary must've been one and the ring Dumbledore had been wearing had been another.

• Kreacher appears beside Sirius and quietly tells them of Regulus' last request. He fetches Slytherin's Locket.

• They have Kreacher take them to the Chamber, where they destroy the Horcrux.

• Apparition lessons begin. (You know the other drill, their name is Mill.)

• Romilda Vane gives Harry some chocolate, which he later throws out. (Unlike the sparrow, this has no real importance to the plot.)

• Harry and Luna hang out (as they have been doing throughout even though it's rarely brought up) and he mentions the memory he's supposed to get.

• Luna suggests Harry uses some of the Felix Felicis. Harry feels like an idiot for overlooking the obvious but thanks her.

• Because of the timing, Aragog's funeral doesn't happen yet. I do not know how Harry obtains the memory, but he does because you know. The potion.

• He goes to show Dumbledore.

• Dumbledore says he believes Voldemort made six Horcruxes. (The seventh piece of his soul is within himself.)

• At this point, Harry says they found another: the locket.

• Dumbledore is surprised by this, but nonetheless delighted.

A bit faster and not quite as put together as I'd like, but this was some of what I had in mind as I was wrapping up Year 5.