Year 2.11*

Revised: May 16, 2022

In hindsight, I should've known I'd want to improve this chapter as well. It's under 1000 words, but oh well!

——————————

Professor Snape let out a breath he didn't know he had been holding. "That was close," he said, his voice wavering.

Harry nodded. "Too close."

Ginny stirred, eyes opening. She sat up and took in her surroundings, then she burst into tears. "Harry — oh, Harry — it was me, Harry — but I- I s-swear I d-didn't mean to — R-Riddle made me, he t-took me over — and —"

"It's okay," said Harry, showing Ginny the diary. "We're all fine now. Let's get you out of here." He held out a hand.

Ginny took it and allowed him to pull her to her feet. That was when she saw Snape. "Professor! Am — am I going to be expelled?"

Harry looked sharply up at Snape.

"I sincerely doubt it," Snape replied, and both students relaxed. "Come on, you two."

"Any idea how we're supposed to get out?" Harry wondered as they exited the tunnel.

The phoenix waved his golden tail feathers. "You want us to hold on?" Harry asked. The phoenix trilled. "Okay, we've got to hold on to each other. Ginny, take my hand. Professor Snape —"

"Yes, I know what to do, brat."

Harry grinned, unperturbed by his professor's sharp tone, and even Ginny let out a weak laugh.

When they came back to the floor of the bathroom, Myrtle was still there. "You're alive," she said blankly to Harry.

"There's no need to sound so disappointed," he said grimly, wiping flecks of blood and grime off his glasses.

"Oh, well... I'd just been thinking... if you had died, you'd have been welcome to share my toilet," said Myrtle, blushing silver.

Harry was very aware of Snape smirking beside him. "Riiight," Harry said. "Where should we go?"

The phoenix led them to Professor McGonagall's office.

"Ginny!" Mrs. Weasley shrieked, running up with her husband and hugging her daughter tightly. "You saved her! You saved her! How did you do it?"

"I think we'd all like to know that," said Professor McGonagall weakly.

Harry explained how Ron had come to him for help and their discovery of Hermione's research, followed by them going for help, Snape and Harry going down the Chamber, Harry killing the basilisk, Ginny waking up.

"And where is Lockhart now?" McGonagall asked.

"In his office. Professor Snape Stunned him," said Harry. "He would've been no help." He paused. "Also, apparently he's been taking the credit for other people's work and Obliviating them."

McGonagall sighed, closing her eyes. "I should be less surprised by this," she muttered, more to herself.

Dumbledore had Mr. and Mrs. Weasley take Ginny to the hospital wing and told the professors to make sure Lockhart was okay, then sent Harry off to his common room.

It was packed with students when Harry stepped inside. For maybe two seconds, no one spoke. Then —

"What happened to you?"

"Is that blood?"

"Were you attacked? How did you get away?"

"Mr. Potter!" Professor Flitwick pushed his way between a couple of fourth-years. "Come with me."

Harry trudged after him into his office.

Professor Flitwick took out his wand and gave it a quick wave. The blood and slime vanished. "I'm not going to ask you what happened, Mr. Potter," he said. "I'm sure you've already done so with the headmaster. What I am going to ask is this: Is Miss Weasley safe?"

Harry nodded.

"And you?"

"Just tired." Harry almost said that he nearly died, but he felt like that would be the wrong thing to say.

If Flitwick knew he was leaving something out, he didn't press the issue. He simply sent Harry off without another word.

Madam Pomfrey had Ginny stay in the hospital wing for the rest of the day and overnight. The next morning, Harry decided to go up to see how she was holding up. He wasn't surprised to see that Ron, Fred, and George were already there.

"Should I come back later?" Harry asked as they all turned to him.

"No, it's okay," said Ginny, ducking her head.

Harry walked over. "Would it be redundant to ask how you're doing?"

"A little." But Ginny smiled up at him gratefully. "But I'm all right."

"Course she is." Fred nudged Harry with his elbow. "She's got her very own knight in shining armor."

Harry rolled his eyes. "I nearly died."

"So it's true, then?" Ron looked a little green. "The basilisk — it bit you?"

Harry nodded grimly, and Ginny winced.

"I'm sorry I caused so much trouble," she mumbled.

"Don't be," said Harry. It was Riddle's fault, not yours." He looked around, only just noticing the emptiness. "So everyone's been cured?"

Ginny brightened. "Oh, yes. Percy just left a few minutes ago with Penelope Clearwater."

"Penelope? Why her?"

"They're dating."

Fred and George looked as though Christmas had come early. "They're what?"

"I walked in on them kissing," Ginny explained. "You won't tease him, will you?"

"Wouldn't dream of it," said Fred.

Harry and Ginny exchanged skeptical looks before snorting into their hands.

The End-of-Year Feast was much different than the previous one. Justin apologized for suspecting him, Hermione was ecstatic that Harry and Ron had figured it out, all exams had been cancelled, Ravenclaw won the House Cup for the first time in several years thanks to Harry's two hundred points, Lockhart was exposed as a fraud, and Lucius Malfoy was sacked as a school governor.

All too soon, they were getting on the Hogwarts Express.

"So," said Fred, plunking onto the seat across from Harry and poking his foot with his own, "I don't reckon George and I will need to rescue you from your aunt and uncle again, will we?"

Harry snorted, but when he looked up at Fred, he saw his expression was quite serious. "I don't know. I hope not. Knowing them, they'll be quite furious to hear I survived a giant snake."

Fred rolled his eyes, looking uncharacteristically irritated. "Why does that not surprise me?"

An idea flashed in Harry's mind and he pulled out some parchment and a quill. "This is called a telephone number," he told him, scribbling it down, tearing the parchment in two, and handing it to Fred. "I told your dad how to use a telephone last summer — he'll know. Call me at the Dursleys', okay? It'll be quicker than writing letters."

Fred accepted it. "Will do."

He and George had stolen their dad's car to break Harry out of his room. Calling him on a telephone should be a piece of cake.

End of Year 2, can't wait to start Year 3; Sirius and Remus make their debut appearance!

——————————

Wanted to add a little Harry and Weasley siblings moment.