Year 1.6*

Revised: July 14, 2021

Ron and Hermione had never been on good terms from what Harry had observed, but their relationship had gone even more sour after their narrow escape. It didn't help that they were partnered up in Charms.

"Now, don't forget that nice wrist movement we've been practicing!" squeaked Professor Flitwick, perched on top of his pile of books as usual. "Swish and flick, remember, swish and flick. And saying the magic words properly is very important, too — never forget Wizard Baruffio, who said 's' instead of 'f' and found himself on the floor with a buffalo on his chest."

It proved to be more difficult than Harry had anticipated, but after a few tries, he managed to get his feather to float in the air.

"Excellent, Mr. Potter!" Professor Flitwick said happily.

Ron was not having any luck. "Wingardium Leviosa!" he said, arms flailing.

Hermione put her hand on his arm. "Stop, stop, stop. You're going to take someone's eye. Besides, you're saying it wrong. It's Levi-O-sa, not Leviosar."

"You do it, then, if you're so clever," Ron snarled.

Hermione rolled up the sleeves of her gown, flicked her wand, and said, "Wingardium Leviosa!"

Professor Flitwick applauded for her as well, and Ron became even grouchier.

"It's no wonder no one can stand her," he said to Seamus Finnigan as they pushed their way into the crowded corridor, "she's a nightmare, honestly."

Harry rolled his eyes at Ron's words, even if he did agree she was a bit too bossy, and was nearly knocked over as the aforementioned witch walked past, tears in her eyes. "That wasn't very nice" he said to Ron.

Ron looked uncomfortable but said, "She must've noticed she's got no friends."

With a frustrated sigh, Harry headed to his next class and then to the Great Hall for the Halloween Feast. He looked around for Hermione, but she wasn't there. Instead, he overheard Parvati Patil telling Lavender that Hermione was crying in the bathroom.

He was just helping himself to a baked potato when Professor Quirrell came sprinting into the hall, yelling about a troll in the dungeon before fainting.

Dumbledore took charge. "Prefects, lead your Houses back to the dormitories immediately!"

Harry started to follow Penelope as she led the Ravenclaws to their dorms. As he was stepping out of the Great Hall, he spotted the back of someone's robes disappearing around a corner and glimpsed their red hair. Where was Ron going?

Ron ducked behind a stone griffin, his heart pounding as Snape walked by. He was heading for the third floor. But why? Suddenly, a foul stench hit his nose. Ron looked around. First thing he saw was the hulking frame, about twelve feet tall. Then the giant club in its hand. It disappeared into a room. Well, as long as it stayed in there, everyone should be safe.

He was about to turn away when he heard a high-pitched scream.

"Hermione!" he shouted, bursting inside.

Hermione was pressed against the opposite wall, her face very pale. Above her, the troll slowly advanced.

"Oi, pea-brain!" Ron yelled, throwing a metal pipe.

The troll didn't seem to take notice of the pipe, but it did hear Ron's voice. Turning, it started toward him. Hermione remained frozen, apparently too shocked to get away.

Ron pulled out his wand and said the first spell that came to mind: "Wingardium Leviosa!"

To his utter amazement, the club soared out of the troll's hand and hovered above its head. Then it came crashing back down, knocking the troll out cold.