The Creator

"In this world it is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kylie's POV

Ryuu and I walked in a comfortable silence for a few minutes. I, as usual, was the one to break it with, "So, how exactly do you know Reyna?"

"... Childhood friend," Ryuu decided after a while. "I met her here when we were younger."

"Ah," I murmured. "And that was before or after she became a vicious hell-hound?" He shot me a flat look. "What? I'm just saying!"

"You don't know Reyna like I do," He stated. "There's a lot more you have yet to see."

"Considering what I've seen so far, I'm not sure I want to see any more," I said honestly.

He sighed. "Just give her a chance, Kylie."

"I'll give her a chance when she stops calling me a pouty little sidekick," I grumbled, crossing my arms over my chest.

He smirked. Suddenly, he stopped walking. "Stop. We're here."

I stopped walking, and I looked up, taking the structure in front of me. Ryuu and I were standing in front of a large shrine made of crystal. The crystal shrine caught the sun's rays perfectly, making it look iridescent. Crystal stairs led up to what appeared to be the only entrance.

"What is this place?" I asked in awe.

"There's an old legend that talks about a girl from a different dimension," Ryuu answered. "When the time was right, that girl would come to this world and take her place as the Gifted Child. The Gifted Child would have one purpose, and that purpose would be to pave the way for the Prophecy Child. This shrine was made for the Gifted Child. It's said that a spirit resides there."

I remained silent for a few moments, staring at the shrine. My hand wove its way around my key necklace. Ryuu watched me with his emerald eyes as I did so.

"If Lord Tamotsu told me to bring you here, it's because he knows that you're the Gifted Child," He stated. "You're meant to go in there."

"There's no telling what's in there, huh?" I murmured, biting my lip.

He shook his head. "Only one way to find out."

I looked back at him, nodded, and began walking up the crystal steps. Realizing he wasn't following me, I turned around, an eyebrow raised, "Aren't you coming?"

"I can't," He replied. "Only the Gifted Child can go in there." My face must have said it all, because he was quick to add, "I'll be right out here, though."

I shot him a grateful smile, and he nodded. Taking a deep breath, I continued up the crystal stairs, pausing at the doorway. With another breath, I entered the shrine.

The inside of the shrine was much different from the outside. For one thing, it was a whole lot darker. If it wasn't for the sunlight that was streaming in from the doorway, I'd be enveloped in complete darkness.

The inside of the shrine wasn't at all that big. Crystals hung from the ceiling, and the walls were solid crystalline structures. In the center of the shrine was a collection of five stone tablets. They were surrounding two long pieces of gray stone, one on top of the other.

I stepped forward and tried to lift separate the two pieces of stone, but they didn't budge. I blinked a few times, realizing that a genjutsu had been placed on them.

I broke through it with ease, and it was then that I saw the tiny key hole carved into the stone that was on top. I took my necklace off easily, slipping the key inside.