Crushes, Encounters, and Games

"All is fair in love and war."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Minxie's POV

Sakura had gone into the medicinal greenhouse of Suna to create an antidote for Kankuro. Kylie had gone off to take a much-deserved rest, leaving Kakashi-sensei, Naruto, and I were in the hospital room to discuss our next move.

I hadn't moved from my earlier spot, although now, I was sitting in a chair, absentmindedly drawing circles on Kankuro's shoulder. Waiting for people to get better was SO boring!

"Once Sakura finishes, we'll move out!" Naruto announced. Since when did he become leader of this mission? Sigh... I didn't want to continue on with the mission. Why? Because that meant I'd be that much closer to having to choose between Itachi and Gaara.

"Relax, Naruto," Kakashi-sensei said calmly, "Kankuro went by himself and ended up like this. Chasing after the Akatsuki without caution is suicide." He turned to Baki. "So they're gone?"

"Well... Pretty much," Baki said, sighing.

"Take me to where Kankuro fought," Kakashi-sensei said, "I'll be able to track them, even if only a bit of their scent remains."

"You don't have to do that..." Someone muttered weakly, and I almost fell back when I realized that it was Kankuro. "There were two of them... One of them has Gaara, so you just need to follow Gaara's scent. I ripped a piece of the other's clothes off, so even if they split up, you'll be able to track them."

"Heh... Turning things to his advantage, like a true Sand ninja," Kakashi-sensei acknowledged.

"Kankuro, are you okay?" Temari asked, worry creasing onto her features.

"Yeah, how're you feeling?" I inquired, standing up.

Kankuro's eyes widened at the sight of me. "Minxie...? You... You've gotten so-"

"Insanely gorgeous? Yeah, I know, and I get that pretty girls are at the top of your list of priorities, but the well-being of my idiotic brothers is at the top of mine," Temari interrupted, "Now, answer me. Are you all right?"

I couldn't help but smile at her, while Kankuro sighed. "I'm... Better."

The blonde let out a sigh of relief, and she nodded. Kankuro's gaze landed on Naruto, and his eyes narrowed slowly. Naruto gave him a brief wave.

"Kankuro," Granny Chiyo spoke suddenly, "Are you sure one of them was Sasori?"

Holy crap! They knew about Sasori? I knew he was a Sand ninja, but... How did she know?

"Yeah... I'm sure. He called himself 'Sasori of the Red Sand...'" Kankuro muttered. Yep. That was definitely Sasori, then. Oh, great...