Chapter 1: Gives You Hell

Start from the beginning

"This is the live security feed from Vendetta's cell. Making sure he doesn't do anything suspicious. Usually, I or another trained guard stay in here to watch but today I moved my regular guy down to the main security station to watch while we do our sessions." Dolmen explained before swiping his card to another door. The door slid open to reveal a two-way glass panel, two chairs, another intercom and a red button on the wall. The final door had the same three locks as the other doors.

"And that is the man of the hour." Dolmen pointed at the glass. Lilianna's eyes followed his finger to see a large room with a bed, washroom, table with two chairs, and a small gym taking up most of the room. In the gym, lifting four hundred pounds was a tall, leering man. He was shirtless, showing off his extremely muscular upper body, all skin littered with tattoos. His brown hair stuck to his sweaty forehead and he made no sound during his workout.

"Now Dr. Price, I want you to know that when you go in there- he won't have any cuffs on." The warden said cautiously. Her head whipped towards him in pure terror.

"What do you mean he will have no cuffs?" She screeched.

"He has a shock anklet. Think of it like a stun gun strapped to him that with one push of this here red button, he'll be on his ass. That will be enough time for you to get out safely. We won't let him hurt you." Dolmen explained.

"Did you say that to the last therapist he had?" She scowled.

"Oh um-"

"In his files, I found the past notes and records from all other psychoanalysts who have worked with him. The last one, Jude Collet, was in the middle of asking him about his mother when suddenly he flew across the table and grabbed her by the throat. He then proceeded to strangle her until you came in and knocked him off her, leaving him unconscious and her being taken to the mainland for immediate medical attention. Did you also tell her that she would never be harmed by him because you would take care of it?" Lilianna shot back, holding up the file she had hastily pulled from her shoulder bag.

"We did shock him but the voltage wasn't high enough. So we upped it by 100%. This will slow him down much more. Besides, he wouldn't hurt you." Dolmen assured the shaking girl.

"And how do you know that?" She challenged.

"Well, your partner said-"

"I'm testing a theory," Hardy interjected.

"And what theory are you testing, exactly? Because as your research partner, I would think it important to share with me whatever it is you're hoping to evaluate." Lilianna glared at Hardy who only dismissed her distress with a wave of his hand.

"If I told you what I was looking for it could impact the nature of what I'm testing, you know that. It has to be..." Hardy paused.

"Ethical? Because so much of what we are about to do is ethical." She huffed.

"Just give me one session to see if I was right?" Hardy bargained. Lilianna took a deep breath and thought it through before she nodded and jabbed a finger at his face.

"Fine. But if I die- my ghost will haunt you." She threatened. She took off her parka and set it on the chair near the door. "Let's do this."

"Good luck," Dolmen said as she pressed her thumb to the scanner and the door slid open.

"Lilianna." She turned and looked at her partner. "Give him hell."

She smiled slightly. "I'll try."

She took two steps into the room, the door closing behind her loudly. The man with the weights ignored her, continuing his workout. She cleared her throat, his movements stopping and eyes snapping to her. She could have sworn she saw them widen when he first saw her, but he remained cold and passive as he looked at her nearly shaking form.