Chapter 44: Afterglow

'Got youngblood running through our veins, we're king and queen of the streets again' 

As the speedboat docked, Lilianna could barely stay in her seat. Her leg shook as her anxiety spiked but the smile that had graced her face half an hour before had yet to falter. Before she could jump from the boat, Terrence grabbed her hips and lifted her into the air, stepping onto the dock. Setting her back on her feet, she immediately started to run towards the beach town. Terrence lurched forward and snagged her wrist tightly. He yanked her backwards and steadied her stumbling form as she bumped into him.

"What was that for?" She whined, pushing the sunglasses up her nose and frowning at him.

"You have to stay by my side, no running off." He reminded her, his hand linking with hers and keeping her close.

"Why?" She questioned as they strolled across the sand to a set of stairs that led to the start of the city streets.

"People are looking for me to both arrest me and kill me. Can't have you getting hurt now, can we?" He said quietly, observing the people around him. She looked at her feet as they walked, her mood instantly soured by his words. His fingers gripped her chin and pulled her head up to look at him.

"Smile on, kitten. There's no need to frown. You're in Sorrento now." He purred, kissing her deeply in the middle of the stone street.

Further, into the coastal town, Terrence led Lilianna into a restaurant named Maria's. The manager noticed the couple from across the dining space and quickly bustled up to them.

"Mr. Vendetta, how can I help you today?" He asked, his thick Italian accent making Lilianna smile.

"A rooftop table would be appreciated, Mr. Lippa," Terrence answered in fluent Italian. Lilianna's eyes cut to the man holding her hand, her mind forgetting that he was bilingual.

"Of course, right this way!" The man nodded happily, hobbling up red-carpeted stairs. At the top, he held open a door that revealed a beautiful rooftop patio and bar. The umbrella-covered tables had a perfect view of the city that stretched to the water. Lilianna gasped at the sight, her eyes locked on the water and mountains in the distance, their peaceful and natural beauty capturing her full attention. Terrence pulled her to the table next to the metal railing, his grin wide as she remained stunned by the view.

"Will this table due, Mr. Vendetta?" The owner asked, gesturing to the table pressed against the railing and facing towards the shoreline.

"This will be perfect, thank you, Mr. Lippa." Terrence shook his hand as he pulled out the chair for Lilianna to sit in. She smiled and thanked him softly as she tucked her skirt under her legs. He took the seat opposite her and watched her admire the view. Her eyes were hidden by the expensive shades but he could tell they were closed as she basked in the sun and the smell of the sea mixed with fresh Italian cuisine.

"Happy?" He asked her casually. She nodded quickly, her smile growing as she turned to face him.

"I needed this. I've been stir crazy for far too long." She laughed. he couldn't help but smile back. Her happiness and willingness to hold a conversation with him made his cold heart feel a little bit warmer.

A waiter quickly approached them, handing them both menus and conversing with Terrence in fluid Italian. Lilianna sat awkwardly as she flipped through the Italian dishes that she struggled to decipher.

"How about some simple Spaghetti Arabietta?" Terrence asked her as he noticed her struggle.

"Yes please." She nodded quickly, handing the menu to the smiling young man taking their orders.