Chapter 1: Gives You Hell

'When you see my face, Hope it gives you hell, Hope it gives you hell
When you walk my way, Hope it gives you hell, Hope it gives you hell'

The waves crashed relentlessly on the jagged black rocks in the middle of the northern Atlantic Ocean, a thin layer of ice covering any surface out of the water's reach. The private jet managed to land safely on the prison's asphalt pad despite the wind of a violent storm approaching. The senior Doctor, Hardy Wallon, pulled the hood of his parka over his balding head and quickly made his way to the gated entrance. Behind him emerged Dr. Lilianna Price, her beret keeping her hair back from her face as much as possible. She followed her research partner into the prison, her fear spiking against her will.

As security checked their bags, the head of security at the prison greeted the two.

"I'm the prison warden of Tollsada, Commander Dolmen. I'll be escorting you through the prison at all times when here. Just a safety precaution for your well-being. Especially you Dr. Price, we can't take any risks." He said, nodding in Lilianna's direction. The security guard at the front entrance pulled a black cassette tape recorder from Lilianna's bag, raising his eyebrow at her.

"What, I'm not into the whole smartphone reliability thing. I prefer old-school techniques." She shrugged as she placed it back in her bag, the three people making their way through the brick and bar corridors. Men yelled and whistled as Lilianna passed their cells, her stomach churning uncomfortably.

"My apologies, Miss." Dolmen sighed.

"When Hardy said this place was like Guantanamo Bay, I didn't want to believe him." She muttered, her words catching Dolmen as he looked at her skeptically.

"Is that a problem?" He questioned.

"I just think prisons are obsolete." She shrugged.

"Brave of you to say when you're standing in one." He scoffed.

"If you think that's brave then don't make me share my opinions on cops." The two stared each other down and Hardy had to step between them to break the tension.

"We're just here to do the job," He reminded them, offering Dolmen a smile as a truce.

They soon arrived at the secluded elevator that would take them to the main floor of the prison, the one massive cell dedicated to Vendetta alone. As the floors counted down to when the doors would open and the doctors would be faced with the task of evaluating the devil, Lilianna shook.

"Ready?" Hardy asked with excitement as the elevator stopped.

"Okay." She breathed.

The doors slid open to reveal a steel wall with a door off to the side. It had no handle, just a thumbprint scanner, a card swipe, and a number pad.

"Alright, so using the prints we had you take last week, we programmed you into the system so you can get in and only a select few people can. First, you punch in the entry number. Then you swipe your card, wait for the green light and the triple beep, then scan your thumb. Once it reads your print it will beep once and light up green. The door will then slide open. Clear?" The warden told them, showing the steps as he did it to open the door for them. "It will register when you've walked through and will then close once you alone have cleared the doorway. It's the same procedure to leave."

The door opened and Dolmen stepped back to let it close.

"Ladies first." He gestured Lilianna forward as he handed her her security pass and access card on a black lanyard. She stepped up, quickly punched in the code and swiped the card. Pressing her thumb to the scanner, the door beeped and shot open quicker than she expected. She crossed over into the room filled with screens and an intercom system that looked out of date for the state-of-the-art max security prison.