28

Today is the day, I thought to myself as I stared at my reflection in the mirror. My white dress fell to my knees, the soft silk rubbing against my skin, the lace covering the top of it. For a prom dress, it was simple. I really did like it.

"It doesn't look... Bad, does it?" I scrunched the bottom of my dress between my fingers and looked at my mom, nervously, when she walked in my room. "I'm going to be so plain compared to everybody else, there."

A smile appeared on her lips when she held onto my shoulders and shook her head. "You look beautiful, you really do." She said, stepping away from me when my dad walked into the room. "Collin, tell her she looks beautiful."

"You look beautiful." He nodded, stepping beside my mom. "Reminds me of when we went to prom."

My mom smiled when he placed his arm around her waist and pulled her further beside him as he pressed his lips against her forehead.

I turned back around to the mirror and pulled my hair tie out from the bun it was in to hold the curls whilst I did my makeup, and I shook my head. My cascaded hair fell down my shoulders in loose curls and I quickly ran my fingers through it to make sure it was in place.

"Your bracelet." My mom said, handing me the complete silver bracelet that was sat on my desk. I held my hand out when she fastened it around me. "There, you're ready."

"I know." I nodded my head, nervously.

The doorbell suddenly went and my mom lifted her head up the same time as I did. I watched my dad as he walked out of the room and down the stairs, leaving us both alone.

"I'm nervous, why am I nervous?" My eyes widened when I began to slowly wander up and down my room. "It's only prom."

"I was nervous for prom, it's natural." She smiled, taking my hand so she could pull me further towards her. "You're going to have an amazing time, remember that this day only comes once."

I nodded when we both started walking towards the door. I reached the stairs, and I couldn't see Cody over my dad, knowing my luck he'd be trying to scare him away. But as I walked further down, he moved, and Cody was still stood there. His eyes studying the ground for a moment.

"Be back before midnight." My dad smiled, leaning against the doorframe when I finally reached the bottom step. I nodded, and Cody finally lifted his head up, his eyes widened for a moment, but he still managed to smile when he awkwardly placed his hands in his pockets.

"I'll have her back by midnight." He said to my dad, but continued to look at me as he spoke. I smiled, and then he smiled, and then he held his hand out, and I took it.

Our fingers slowly slid in between each others when we finally looked away and stepped out of the door, my mom and dad closing it behind us.

"Arabella Smith," Cody stopped in the middle of the street, stepping in front of me. He slowly licked his lips before starting to talk again. "You are without a doubt.. The most beautiful girl I've ever seen in my life."

"You're lying." I half smiled when I quietly responded. He shook his head, placing his hand against my cheek. "You are, I'm nothing compared to half of the girls who go to our school."

He shook his head again, taking my hand and placing it flat against his chest. "Do you feel that?" He asked, and I could. I could feel his heartbeat, speeding up as each moment passes. "You do that to me, Bella Smith. Not any other girl in the school, not any other girl ever. Just you."

I pulled my hand away from his chest and slowly smiled before taking the chance to look at his outfit. Black skinny jeans that crinkled down his legs, with a plain white shirt tucked in and the first two buttons undone, then a blazer.