16

The next morning, I woke up with Cody on my mind. I should have stayed, really. But I didn't, I went home because my mom wanted to spend some time with her and my dad. Usually on a morning, I like to stay in bed for a while, but this time I got straight up and got dressed.

I find it unfortunate that my mom and dad work on Saturdays, but it comes in handy on days like this when I get to leave the house this early, because they're not here to question it.

So I quickly put my shoes on and run down the road to Cody's house where I happily knock on the door. Waiting for an answer made me anxious. I don't know why, but I always feel nervous about seeing him, before I actually see him.

My nerves grew higher when the man who answered wasn't Cody. He looked a little like him, only his hair was darker and he looked a little taller, plus he had more facial hair.

"Is Cody home?" I awkwardly ask, guessing it's his dad. The man looked behind him, then turned towards me with a sudden smile on his face.

"You must be Bella!" He chuckles, putting his hand out for me to shake. "I'm Steve, Cody's dad." I smile, placing my hand against his to shake it back.

"Nice to meet you." I say as he shuts the door once I'm inside. "Sorry to come so early, I got bored I guess."

"It's fine, Bella. Don't worry about it." He says, leading me over to the staircase. "He's upstairs, refusing to come down. Me and his mom want to take him out for breakfast." He sighs.

"I'll go talk to him, if you like?" I ask as I step up the first two steps.

"If you don't mind. You can come along." He says before walking towards the kitchen, a mug of coffee in his left hand.

As I walk up the stairs, I notice the pictures on the wall. It's even cuter that they sort of go in an order where they're really young, and they gradually get older the higher up the stairs you climb. One thing I noticed, is that there's a lot less of Cody now he's at this age.

"Come in." Cody's muffled voice comes from behind the door once I finally knock. I sigh, opening the door to find him laid on the bed in only sweatpants. He's laid on his stomach, a book in front of him, he slowly turned the page before turning his head to find out I'm the one stood in the doorway. "Bella Smith! I thought you were my dad." He folds over the corner of the page before shutting the book and getting off the bed.

"How are you feeling?" I ask, shutting the door behind me.

"I have a really bad headache." He complains, taking my hand as he walks backwards towards the bed. I focus on the bandage around his arm as he sits at the edge and pulls me in between his legs. "I guess I'll get over it." He sighs.

"Your dad wants to take you out for breakfast." I smile as I place my hand against his cheek. Cody bites his lip as he places his arms around my waist. "You can't be antisocial all the time, you need to take a break." I laugh.

"I can't go, Bella." He sighs as he pulls my shirt up and rubs small circles in the small of my back with his thumb. "He'll question the bandage on my arm. I can barely remember what I did myself, but even so I wouldn't tell my dad a story like that."

"Well," I say as I step back. "start by putting on a shirt, then put a jacket over. He'll barely see the bandage."

Cody rolls his eyes as I kneel down in front of him, so I'm just under his eyelevel. "You have answers to everything." He huffs, folding his arms over each other. "I don't want to spend time with my parents. My mom's in a mood today."

I sigh before taking his face in my hands and lean forward, very quickly pecking him on the lips before pulling away. "Your dad's invited me, now will you come?" I whisper, his face still in my hands as I softly run my thumbs underneath his eyes. He slowly licks his lips as his eyes follow mine.