4

"Bella Smith! Get down these stairs, now!" My dad yelled, making my stomach drop. I fumbled for the mascara lid before placing it back in my makeup bag. I stood at my door for a moment, taking a deep breath before grabbing my backpack and running down to meet my family stood by the kitchen door.

"What's up?" I ask, even though I already know the answer. My dads face grew red through anger, but he only started breathing to calm himself down. One thing I'd noticed is that he couldn't even look at me. Maybe he was too disappointed in me for doing something wrong for the first time.

I followed him when he started to walk into the kitchen and he picked up a letter from the counter before practically throwing it in my face. I pulled it away from my eyes and read in clear letters what the point of it was. Yesterday I had an unauthorised absence and that I'm on a clear warning unless my parents can phone in with some clear explanation, which they're obviously not going to do.

"Is this a mistake?" He asks. I stay silent as I place the letter on the top and try my hardest to not even look at him, so I stare at the ground instead. "Don't ignore me, Bella!" He begins to yell again.

"It's no mistake." I bite my lip, ready for the shouting and the screaming and the grounding. To my surprise, he only stayed quiet.

"Why did you take the day off, Bella?" My mom asks, her tone much calmer than what my dads is. I couldn't say anything about Cody. My family don't even know about us talking, or even going near each other. She thinks that I hate him, and I'm pretty sure she thinks that he hates me.

"I didn't feel good." I answer back and I heard her sigh from in front of me. "I'm sorry, okay? The lack of sleep got to me and I didn't feel up to the weather, so I was walking to school and I decided that I really didn't feel up to it, so I came back home."

"Why didn't you call us?" My dad joins back in, his voice much calmer now he's calmed down. "You should know that it's not okay to take the day off, Bella! What were you thinking?"

"I was thinking, that I wanted to go to sleep. And that's why I didn't call." I reply and for a moment, I was starting to believe my own lies. "I'm going to be late for school. I'm really sorry, I'll call next time." I smile before leaning forward and kissing my dad on the cheek.

He suddenly grabbed my arm and pulled me back. For a moment, he was just looking at me and then he decided to speak. "What cologne are you wearing?" His eyebrows furrow together in curiosity. "I don't remember you having that.."

"It's an old one, I just found it." I answer with another lie before pulling away from him. I couldn't tell him it was Codys otherwise he'd click on that I ditched with him. "I really need to go, bye!" And then I ran out of the main door, unsure of weather he believed me or if he didn't.

"Bella! You're in today." Ryan smiles as I sit down in front of him. I nod before pulling out my math homework along with the text book and flick for a certain page. It's lunch, but I need to study for a pop quiz we have next lesson.

"Yeah, where is everybody?" I ask, looking at the table which I've just realised is empty. Ryan shrugs his shoulders before offering my a fry, which I deny with a smile.

"Alli and Jake are at the library and Josh has a detention. Looks like it's just me and you." He answers back. I nod before looking back down at my textbook. "Do you need any help?" He asks, noticing the fact that I've read the question more than once.

"Yes actually." I giggle, looking back up at him. He stands up and walks around so he can sit next to me. "He's gone over it, but my teacher isn't very good if I'm being honest." Ryan leaned over and reached for my pen, his fingers brushing over mine before he took it out of my hand and put it to the paper.