Natalyla

Stupid, puny little man. Snivelling and whining on his knees like the little bitch that he is.

"Nat" a voice pulls me away from him. Lisa stands in the doorway, not quite brave enough to make her way down the stairs. We've been best friends for as long as I can remember. When we came over from Russia, it wasn't even questioned whether or not she would come with us. "Alexander is calling for you"

I sigh and bounce the gun off my thigh. I need to do this quickly so I can go, but he deserves so much worse. "Fuck it" A bullet rips through his kneecap, shattering it and then I place the gun on a nearby table. I'll be back for him later.

Lisa and I make our way towards the little boy's room. It appears that I have adopted this boy, and that wasn't the objective. I mean, he's part of the Italian mafia for fuck's sake.

I push my way into his room and see him curled up in the corner of the room, his arms raised above his head to protect his face. "Alexander" I say softly as I make my way over to him. "What's wrong, pet?"

He wails loudly "Daddy's going to be mad" he says, his accent thick and sending waves of anger through my veins "Daddy's going to hurt me for this"

I take my hands and gently pull his hands away from his face "What did I tell you Alexander?" I ask him.

He gulps and wipes the tears from his cheeks "That you won't let Daddy hurt me anymore"

I nod "I did, didn't I?" I stare down the eleven year old "So why are we upset?"

He shakes his head "He'll find me here. He'll call me a traitor and I've seen what he does to traitors. He's a horrible, violent man"

He's also bleeding out in my basement but maybe he should find that out later. "I will make sure that you never have to see your father again. Ok?"

He nods and I pull him into my chest. He buries his face into my shoulder and I sigh deeply. First Elijah and now him. I need to stop bringing people home.

Speaking of Elijah, I hear him roar from a room nearby. Stupid, short-tempered bastard he is. I should have never brought him into my life.

A short scream echoes around the room and my blood turns cold. I push myself away from Alexander and walk out of the room quickly.

That slimy little shit, just made my angel scream.

I follow the screams straight to Viktor's bedroom and through the door. And there they are.

"Get your hands off my fucking son!" I roar at him. He instantly steps away from my nine year old angel who seems dazed by the latest hit and is staring at the blood on his fingers.

I cross the room quickly and sit down on the bed beside him. His cheek is split and nose seems to be broken. A bruise is forming around his arm and one eye is swelling. Tears roll down his face and I pull him behind me as I stare at the beast I should have put down years ago.

"Viktor, go find Lisa" I tell him quietly. He doesn't react and I shake him lightly "Viktor" I say and he runs from the room quickly. Almost as soon as he does, I hear the alarms raise. "Who the fuck is that?" I hiss.

"The Italians I believe. Looking for their boy, or whatever high ranking prick you've got in your basement" The rat mutters.

I spin to him, really wishing I had a knife on me so I could slice him open and watch him drop his guts. "And how do you know that?"

He shrugs with a small smirk on his face "Because someone leaked our position to them. Someone who knows all the plans and rotas"

A laugh bubbles up from deep inside me, dry and humourless. "Why?" I ask "This won't stop me from gutting you for laying a hand on my child"

He mimics my laugh "You see Natalyla. You're too soft on the boy, too soft in general really. The Russian Mafia needs a king, not you"

"You're challenging me? Koroleva?" I smirk "It's brave. A lot of people like me a hell of a lot more than you. You touch me and your head will leave your shoulders"

The smile doesn't leave his face. "But I'm not going to touch you. An unnamed Italian mobster is going to come in here, attack Viktor, and shoot you when you tried to save him"

"You're going to kill me?" I say incredulously "You're not brave enough"

I hear it before I see or feel it. My hands go to my stomach instinctively and blood starts to leak out between my fingers.

I can't die like this. Not by the hands of this cowardly little shit.

I drop to my knees and start to feel the life draining from me. "What the fuck did you see?" I hear Elijah shout and watch as he drags young Katie into the room by her hair.

"What did you see!" He roars.

My head hits the carpet and everything starts to go a bit fuzzy. Katie is sobbing, clutching at her head where Elijah is pulling. "You tell no one of this. Okay? I will end you Katherine, got it?"

I hope Viktor knows how much I love him.

Viktor's POV
3 years later

"Tell me about mum" I ask Lisa again. She smiles as she seats herself on the bed.

"She was a beautiful woman, with long blonde hair that she always kept down to her waist, and these massive green eyes. She was ruthless but she had a massive heart and she loved you more than anything else in this world" Lisa sighs. "She would be so proud of you Viktor"

Would she? I still remember stupid little things, like that she used to make just the two of us a picnic for a Tuesday night, or that she was allergic to cats. But I can't remember her voice, or her laugh. I can't remember any details.

I also don't know why Katie goes all funny whenever I mention her or her death.