Thirteen

Alarms are ringing. My heart is pounding. My muscles throb as I sprint out of that hell hole. Staying in one position for the past three days took its toll on my body and I stumble at least three times before I fall.

The ground hits me in the face and I see stars. "Shit!" I hiss. Blood rushes from my nose and I have an awful feeling of deja-vu.

I can hear shouts. They've realised why the alarms are going. They're coming for me. I ignore my protesting limbs and pick myself up and continue to run.

I reach the road and my chest feels like it's about to explode. I haven't eaten in days and only had a minimal amount of water. I'm weak and broken.

My knees collapse from under me and I hear a car engine approaching. They'll kill me for sure this time.

It stops in front of me and the doors open. "Holy shit! Bella!" Someone shouts and suddenly I'm being hauled into the car.

I try to free myself firm their grip as we drive off and keep my eyes shut tight. "Please" I beg "Just let me go" Tears run down my face and I don't care who sees anymore. I kick out and my feet connect with the person but they still don't let go.

"Open your eyes!" He shouts. "Princesa!"

I instantly stop fighting. My body couldn't take it anymore anyway. "Viktor?" I ask. I open my eyes and he pulls me into his chest. I grip onto his shirt and tuck my head in.

"I'm so sorry princesa. I promise that nothing like this will ever happen to you again" he whispers and kisses the top of my head.

****

I slip in and out of conciousness the whole way back to Viktor's house. My limbs feel like jelly and I struggle to keep my eyes open.

We pull up to the house and he steps out of the car. He reaches in to pull me out and I stand beside him while he closes the door.

I'm so drained. Mentally and physically.

He takes my hand to walk towards the house and I feel myself turn to jelly. He steadies me but I put my hand up to stop him "I can do this. Trust me" I snap.

He looks at me with a disapproving stare but stops trying to help. The gravel scratches the soles of my bare feet. My eyelids feel heavy and I stumble stlightly. My running used up my energy entirely.

"Fuck it" Viktor curses and swings me up and carries me in bridal style. I'm too weak to argue so I just hold on to him. "You need help. Medical help" he says as he kicks open the door. "Lisa. Get Artie to Bella's room. Now!" He orders.

I hear the click of heels against the tiled floor and then I feel Viktor running up stairs. We go into my room and he lays me down on the bed "Viktor I'm fine. I just need something to eat" I say.

"When was the last time you ate?" He looks into my eyes "I'm serious Bella"

I bite my lip "At yours"

"Bella that was three days ago!" He shouts.

I flinch and he relaxes. "Princesa. You have nothing to be frightened of. Not anymore" he tucks a piece of my hair behind my ear before standing and walking over to the door. He sticks his head out "Reagan! Bring up water and something to eat" he orders.

He runs back over to me and I sigh. "Why are you doing this? Don't help me"

He frowns "Bella. You gave yourself up to save your friend. Do you realise how dangerous that is?"

I close my eyes "I know. I just couldn't let them hurt her"

He cups my cheek with his hand and starts tracing small circles under my eye with his thumb. He opens his mouth to say something but the door swings open. "Bella!" Artie shouted "You're okay!"

Viktor snaps to him and glares. "Just get your ass over here"

Artie runs over and then someone else walks in. "Soup and water as requested" Reagan says and lays the tray at the foot of the bed. She leaves without another word.

Artie checks over me and sighs "I'll wrap your wounds but the only other thing I can suggest is eating slowly and having a good sleep"

I nod sleepily. "I'll leave you two alone" he says with a smile and leaves.

Viktor sits on the bed beside me and pulls the tray onto his lap. I push up into a sitting position and he smiles at me. "I think it's chicken noodle. Lisa makes the best soup so it'll be good anyway"

I chuckle and he takes a spoonful "Open wide" he laughs.

I do as instructed and he begins to feed me. Once the soup is done he tells me to eat the half slice of bread. I nibble on it but I just want to sleep. I tell him so and he nods.

I slide down under the covers and fall asleep.

The dreams that come to me are terrible. I'm in a dark room with my hands chained above my head. I scream and scream but no one comes. No one ever comes. There's rats and bugs everywhere and a layer of dirt covers every surface.

It then occurs to me that this isn't a dream. It's a memory.

And I scream.