Twenty

Another gift came this morning. I left it on the porch and stepped over it to go to school. Maybe if I pretend it doesn't exist then it would be gone by the time I'd gotten home.

I tap my pencil rhythmically on the desk and stare at the equation on the board. Missing two years of school has really put me behind.

The class is completely silent and it makes me uncomfortable. I'm not used to silence. My phone starts to ring and I quickly turn it off. The teacher sends me a warning glance and I put my head down to work.

It begins to ring again and I turn it off just as before only this time I make sure it's on silent. A few seconds pass and it rings again. "What the fuck?" I say under my breath.

"Miss Eden please turn off your phone" the teacher says. I nod and switch it off. I check the number just before it goes black and see that it's hidden.

I drop it back into my bag and as soon as I pick my pencil back up it goes again. I groan and look up at the teacher "I did turn it off" I assure him.

He raises an eyebrow and I dismiss the call. A text message comes through and I open it.

Answer your damn phone

It rings again and I get out my seat "I'll only be a second"

"Miss Eden!" The teacher protests but I'm already out of the room.

"What do you want?" I ask as I hold the phone to my ear "Who the fuck are you?" I really hoped it wasn't my gran that I's just cursed at.

"I wanted to thank you. You did me a favour"

"Sean? How did you get my number?" I'm frozen to the spot. He is supposed to be gone. I'm safe now.

A chuckle comes down the line and sends a shiver down my spine "A good friend gave it to me"

"Why are you thanking me?" I ask nervously. I know he can hear my voice shaking no matter how hard I try to stop it.

"Because you helped me. You see, just before you all got out, I got a phone call from a man who was particularly interested in you sweetheart. I told him of course that you were already sold. He replied that he had killed the man who was going to buy you so he could instead. He was offering a very generous amount of money in exchange for you so I was more than happy to accept. My next problem was getting you to him. My original plan was to make you believe the others were dead. Make you all feel alone so it would be easier to get you out. I just couldn't get you alone. When I realised what you were up to, I used it to my advantage. You are all alone now. Each one of you are now separated. It's easy to pluck someone away when no one's there to stop you. I guess your new owner has already been in contact with you. Am I right?" He laughs and I can imagine the evil grunts spread across his face at this very moment.

"Rot in hell you piece of shit" I hiss and drop the phone on the ground. I bring the heel of my boot down on it over and over again until it is almost unrecognizable.

I kick it against the wall and walk back into class to finish the day.

****

I wave Phil goodbye as he drives off and I step into the house. The package is off the doorstep and I smile. My mum will be working late and Sofia is coming around for dinner.

I run up to my room and see a note pinned to my head board of my bed. I pluck it off the wood and read it.

I hope Sean's message didn't scare you. He only wished to tell you what was going to happen.

Now I'm going to do the same.

I want you to go to the address below and wait for me there. If you are not there within the hour then I'll have someone else join me. A certain red haired beauty. And the only way she'll leave is in a body bag.

I bet that got your attention. I bet your struggling to read the end of this note without running out of the front door.

I know that because I can see you Bella. I can always see you.

There's no signature or name. No way of knowing who I am going to meet. They're right though. As soon as I'm done reading I sprint out of the door like the devil's running after me.

Or maybe I was running straight to him.