Tension and Talking

The alpha gave me the prophecy, but I knew the others were waiting. So I stuffed it into my pocket, and stumbled out to the car, knowing my face was as white as a sheet. Everyone bustled, saying goodbye, and getting into the right cars. I came face to face with Rent, and immediately my eyes welled with tears. 

"Oh Carrie," he breathed fondly, pulling me warmly into his arms, "

"Thank you."

I smiled against him, feeling warm, and safe for the first time in weeks.

"What for?"

He rubbed my back and kissed my temple chastely.

"For being my friend, for being you, you made me brave Carrie."

My breath caught in my throat, and I felt a few soft tears slipping down my cheeks.

"I won't forget you Rent. You call me, whenever you need to, okay?"

He nodded.

"And we'll have movie nights, we'll watch Theo James and Liam Hemsworth. And eat popcorn and chocolate. And train together and,"

He smiled down at me and kissed my forehead gently.

"Anything you like love. "

I smiled, he was a little blurry through the tears now.

"Oh and, Rent," I gripped his shirt remembering, "someone was giving out information, I think one of your guards is a mole."

He looked up, nodding, "I'll figure it out."

His hand came up to the back of my neck, meeting my eyes steadily.

"Be careful with your heart Carrie. You'll beat it black and blue before you give yourself what you want. But they won't give up. They won't leave your side."

I sigh, he gives my hand a supportive squeeze, then I slide into the back seat next to Ben. The engine revved, and I turned to the window, waving a little, then focusing on the drizzling night weather as we pulled away.

A week went by, Bonolo stayed with me. I was more than happy to have her. We watched movies and talked for hours. She helped with the sudden normality of my life.

It had been weeks of nonstop stress and anxiety, suddenly things were quiet, soft, and I could take a shower with hot water whenever I liked. It felt strange.

School would start soon, my notes were ready and waiting, and I'd be getting back to training in a couple of days.

The morning dawned cold and grey, I sighed pulling on skinny jeans and soft leather boots, a maroon button-up shirt and a black leather jacket. I left my hair down, having brushed and washed it out, so it hangs in thick chocolate waves to my waist.

I drove to the packhouse, stepping out of my silver car while Ben was chopping wood in the front yard. I was still refusing to live with the rest of the pack, despite feeling an overwhelming sense of belonging anytime I came near the house.

I felt gravel crunching under my boots as I walked to him. His open flannel shirt exposed his toned, clean-cut abs.

He looked like a model, his hair was soft, shining a little in the few slivers of sun. His eyes were caramelly today, lighter and richer than usual. Everything about him was warm, home. Strange, considering he could make me snap, and yell and fight like no one else I've ever met.

He stopped when I got closer, looking up at me, and dropping the axe next to him.

"Hey, love." His eyes travelled up and down my body, and he inhaled sharply, "you look beautiful."