Fun and Fighting

DANTE'S POV

Carrie was fuming when she came back. Her cat eyes were sparking hot anger and her features were hard.

"Carrie."

She looked up at me and shook her head, warm mahogany chocolate waves cascading down her shoulders and arms as she shook her head.

"Leave it alone."

My wolf whined I reached out for her waist and pulled her to me. Her body melted into my side and she looked up at me, her eyes blazing.

"Why is it everyone feels the need to pull me around?"

I searched her face as she looked up at me, tired and glaring.

"What does that mean?" I mused, my lips barely moving as I spoke.

Her heart sped up, and 
my classic smirk pulled at my lips.

"It means let me go Dante."

She sighed a little and suddenly she looked older and exhausted.

"Let's get out of here."

"What?" She asked, her eyes widening.

I shrugged easily, "It's early, we have at least an hour, so let's get out of here, we'll make it back in time."

She looked up at me searching my face as I grinned,

"What have you got to lose?"

Then she nodded unsurely.

My grin widened and I grabbed her hand. We ran down to the lake, along the bank, and around the corner. The water widened into a dark deep pool.

I pulled her to a stop and she looked up at me, her eyes shining.

"Now what?" She breathed.

I nodded toward the towering willow tree that stood, curving steadily near the edge of the bank. Long heavy green vines hang down heavily, the tips making light ripples on the surface.

She looked at up me an eyebrow raised, "You can't be serious."

I smirked, "is the great Carrie Stewart scared?"

Her eyes sparkled with playful competitiveness. "Is that a challenge Dante?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Are you accepting it?"

She smiled and looked back at the willow.

"Hell yes."
_______________

Ten minutes later we were still swimming, using the vines of the willow to swing into the water.

"3, 2, 1!" Carrie yelled, letting go of the vines.

She flew through the air, her hair creating a chocolatey floating mass around her head. Then she disappeared under the water, only to reappear in my outstretched arms.

"This is the second time, are you going to count down each time you jump?"

Her chin jutted out, "of course."

Carrie was glaring at me playfully, her thick chocolate waves heavy and soaking down her sides as I held her.

"Much better," I said, inspecting her face.

Her features squished together," what?"

I smiled, "you look happier, you worry too much."

She cocked her head, "we're in debt to a fairy queen, looking for a magical cup, you're meant to be the finder of said cup, and we all have bombs in our necks."

I smirked and shrugged, "Ah, minor details, I've been in worse."

Her eyes are crinkled. "Oh yeah? Like what?"

I pulled her even closer, keeping my eyes serious and locked on hers.

"Once, I ran out of my favourite strawberry jam. But that's....that's not even the worse part."

She gasped dramatically, "dear god, what happened?"

I took a steadying breath," it.... it.....got discontinued. "

She shook her head smiling,  "you're an idiot."

I grinned, "you love it."

She was about to protest but I pulled us under the water as she growled warmly.

We spent ages swimming, racing, swinging, all the while ceaseless banter bounced between us. I loved seeing her like this, her worries are forgotten, if only for a few moments.

Eventually, we made our way back to camp, pulling our shirts over our still wet bodies as we went, laughing our way up the hill. My eyes grazed over the sports bra Carrie had swum in and the top of her underwater, showing the Kelvin Klien print flashed as she zipped up the fly on her shorts.

I immediately looked away. Shit, she was gorgeous. My wolf purred in agreement and I asked him for the millionth time if she was our mate. But just like every other time, he went dead silent in my head, I sighed.

"What the fuck is going on here?"

I froze, Ben stood in front of us, his arms crossed.
Carrie glanced at me then shrugged at Ben.

"We went swimming."

Ben's eyes flashed and his jaw tightened, I knew what that meant. Ben and I had grown up together after his family took me in, we weren't close anymore, but I knew him better than most.

"Ben,"

His eyes snapped onto me.

"Rent and his goons are waking up, and you weren't there." His lips pulled up in a snarl, "we have bombs in necks. You put Carrie at risk, you put us all at risk."

I growled and stepped forward but Carrie beat me to it.

"Firstly, we were both swimming, so why you feel the need to only talk to Dante is beyond me. Secondly, no one was at risk, we're right here."

Ben was in her face in seconds,
"I blame you too Carrie, and you could have put us at risk."

Her eyes widened, "but we didn't! And we wouldn't! Stop being such asshole, we've done nothing wrong!"

Ben's eyes blazed and gripped her shoulders, "I'm not letting you blow yourself up just because you wanted to go for a fucking swim with Dante."

"You're being ridiculous."

He pulled her closer growling, "I swear to god Carrie,"

Buzzing heat sparked between them and I growled angrily beneath my breath, then stepped in front of Carrie.

"Ben,"

His jaw tightened, "Alpha! I'm your alpha, Dante."

My fists clenched and we stepped closer,

"Actually you're being a fucking dick."

Ben's eyes flashed, "you're on thin ice."

Carrie flew in between us and pushed us apart.

"We have enough going on without this. We're going up against a batshit crazy alpha that we plan on double-crossing. So we're sticking together. Got it?"

Her voice was an angry steady and Ben and I stepped back at the exact same time.

"Ben?" She challenged angrily.

He nodded reluctantly and Carrie began turning away, but
he reached out and his fingers snapped around her wrist.

"We need to talk to Carrie."

Her cat green eyes met his and her lip pulled up in a snarl. But before she could answer Rent's voice sounded from behind us.

"Sorry to cut the tea party short, but we need to move. I don't want to lose daylight, we're behind as it is."

Ben let Carrie go reluctantly and we went back up to camp, ready for another day of walking.