Fate.

I want to dedicate this chapter to two incredible readers Zaraf2 and kati_sarcastic they are amazing please everyone go send them some love ❤❤❤❤

BEN'S POV

Everything began to happen very quickly. It took us another night and another day before we reached the border.

Carrie kept a space between us that was way too big to be natural. Her face was a constant flat stone plate. Her usually sparking eyes, dull and walled over. I'd never seen the gorgeous girl in front of me so neutral. It hurt to watch.

We heard the howling of wolves and our paced increased. Relief filled me as we walked into pack territory. It felt like years ago since Carrie, Dante and I had walked into this very territory to get Meg back. It's where we met Rent and started our insane mission. We were escorted into the packhouse by their border guards.

Bonolo met us as we walked into the packhouse and Carrie practically fell into her arms.

"My sister, you are safe."

Carrie let out a relieved laugh and hugged Bonolo tighter.

"When did you get here?"

Bonolo smiled, "yesterday, I waited for you, Dante and Rent are here too, they wouldn't take out Dante's bomb until you two arrived."

Bonolo's dark eyes met mine over Carrie's shoulder, she nodded at me, short and reassuring.

She said nothing about the tension between Carrie and me, even though I knew she could feel it.

We were taken to the alpha's office and were joined a few moments later by Dante and Rent. I couldn't help my clenching fists at the sight of Dante's arms around Carrie. She seemed to melt into him, happiness overtaking her features for a split second.

The alpha looked at us, studying each of our faces slowly.

"You lot have been on quite the mission."

"You have no idea." Carrie and I said, in perfect unison.

Our eyes met, and she looked away quickly, clearing her throat a little to cover up discomfort. The alpha grinned at us. 

"I want to thank all of you for your services in retrieving the stone cup, and,"

Carrie sighed and stepped forward,

"all due respect, please just take out the bombs and set us free. We've done your bidding."

The alpha raised an amused eyebrow, and nodded, "very well miss Stewart."

The three of us knelt as he used a strange high tech device to extract the bombs.

"You may now go home, in fact, my personal chauffeur shall drive you... Rent?"

Rent disappeared to inform the driver, and the rest of us began moving out of the room.

"I want to speak to Carrie."

I froze, I didn't like the sound of that. Carrie was already in a bad state as things stood.

"No, we're leaving," I growled.

Carrie rolled her eyes, "leave it, Ben. If we refuse He'll just get his guards to make it happen anyways. I'll see you in a bit."

I growled, not hating it any less.

"Go." She urged softly.

I left, reluctantly closing the door after me.

CARRIE'S POV

The alpha grinned at me from behind his desk like a predator to his trapped prey.

"Carrie, Carrie, Carrie."

"Physco, Physco, Physco."

His grin didn't falter, "have you found out you're mate's royalty yet?"

I rolled my eyes, hating this, "it came up. I want to leave though, so can we skip to the point?"

He walked around his desk, his movements are oily and slick. He ended up, his back leaning against the desk, arms crossed against his chest and eyes on me.

"I heard you're the Valderian."

"Apparently a lot of people heard," I replied.

The alpha smirked, "you haven't thought about what that means yet have you?"

I sighed, I was far too tired for this. "I have a knack for finding cups made of stone? It's terrific it really is, my new party trick. Can I leave now?"

He shook his head, patiently. "Carrie, to be the Valerian, blackbirds have to sing in your presence, and you have to have ties with the Greyson pack. "

I raised an eyebrow, waiting for him to finish.

"But I did a little research,  you're not from the Greyson pack. And you have no relatives who are."

I began tapping my foot, "this is all very fascinating. But leaving right  now still sounds pretty amazing."

The alpha ignored my sarcasm and leaned toward me a little. "But you know who is from the Greyson pack?"

"Oprah?" I guessed helpfully.

"Dante. Its the pack he ran away from."

For some reason my heart began to beat a little faster, panic began rising in my chest.

Something bad was coming. I could feel it.

"So?" I growled, but I'd lost my nonchalance.

An evil smirking grin inked across his face, "so, your tie with Greyson pack is Dante."

My eyes narrowed, "how'd you figure that?"

The alpha's steely eyes met mine,

"you're linked through a prophecy."

I scoffed, "right."

He shrugged, "it's the truth, Carrie. You and Dante are.... destined."

I raised my eyebrows, "destined?"

He nodded.

"What the fuck does that mean?" I snarl angrily.

"It means you're betrothed, Carrie."

I stepped forward, feeling as though the wind had been knocked out of me.

"That's impossible. I have a mate."

The alpha shrugged, "and I don't know if it came out while you were sitting by the fire on your little quest, but Dante wasn't just any pack member.."

"He was the future alpha." I finished, my stomach dropping.

The salt and pepper haired man in front of me nodded easily. I shake my head, my mind pounding.

"But I'm mated to Ben."

The alpha just grinned.  I looked him up and down, warily. "So you're telling me, I'm mated to Ben and betrothed to Dante. And either way, I go, I'm a luna."

The alpha's grinned widened,

"precisely."

"That's impossible. Fate gives you one person you're mated to. Or destined to be with. This can't happen. "

The alpha shrugged again, a gold coin spinning easily between his knuckles.

"Fate fucked up."