Chapter 36 - A Week in Awkwardville

Chapter 36

A Week in Awkward Ville

After a big hug and kiss from a sticky faced Ethan Dane rose from his knees to his feet.   He was more than cautious as his eyes met Berkley’s.  Her emerald eyes didn’t sparkle instead they glistened as a tear slid down her cheek.  Danes heart was breaking at thought of her pain.  The pain he had caused her.  He took a couple of steps towards her before hesitating at the sight of her body as she stiffened.  She was like a deer poised to flee the moment an escape presented itself.

“Please stay.”  He said letting Ethan slide down his side and to the floor to return to his dinosaurs and a half eaten apple.

“I can’t.” 

“You can’t or won’t?”  He asked noticing the absence of her engagement ring on her finger.  Her face was conflicted.  She may have said no but her eyes were saying yes. It wasn’t a definite no and that was more than he expected.

She stood silent for a moment but her posture relaxed just before she spoke.  “I won’t stay for supper but I will help get Ethan cleaned up for the evening.” 

Dane couldn’t contain the smile that spread across his face and into his eyes.  For a moment, he thought he saw a glimpse of a smile on her face.  He watched as she carried Ethan up the stairs.  His warmed up the leftovers and sat down at the table. 

Ethan crawled up in the chair next to him as Dane prepared his plate.  Berkley followed shortly behind him but refused to take a seat.  Dane put a bib on Ethan and scooted his chair up to the table before turning his attention to Berkley.

“We need to talk.”  He said simply and to the point.  He hoped that having Ethan at the table would help keep her calm and allow her to listen. 

“What would you like to talk about?”  She said with a sharp tone that caused Ethan to snap his head around to face her.  She smiled down and kissed Ethan.  “Be a big boy and eat your dinner and you can have a brownie for dessert.”  Ethan happily returned his attention to his plate.

Dane led Berkley over to the couch.  “I don’t want to fight.  I want you to stay.  I don’t want to lose you.”

“It’s too late.  You already have.”

“It is never too late.”

“Listen to yourself Dane.  I know you are accustomed to getting what you want and playing games but I refuse to play games with my heart or Ethan’s for that matter and soon I will have another heart to consider.  We need to discuss custody but I don’t have an attorney yet.”

“Berkley, just take a step back and relax just a little.  She is our child.  I’m not going to discuss custody with you now or ever.”

“You can’t avoid much longer.  She will be here soon.”  She reminded as she rubbed her belly subconsciously.

 “Why are we even having this discussion?  We’re going to be a family again.  You know I love you.”  Dane said quietly to keep Ethan from hearing and to mute the desperation in his voice.

“I don’t think you know what it means to love someone.”  Berkley said sadly as she grabbed her purse and made her way back to the front door.  “Dane, I think it is best that we avoid a repeat of today.  I will leave promptly tomorrow.”

Dane followed her and opened the door for her as she stepped out onto the porch.  “I want full custody just as much as you do, Dane.”

“I know you do. I wouldn’t expect any less.”  His words were filled with so much conviction that Berkley paused to let them sink in.  He was complimenting her.