CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

Start from the beginning

As the group filed out of the Hub and raced through the tunnels, the five kids desperately listened as Steve Harrington's voice echoed in shout, "Hey, this way! Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!"

Taking a few steps forward, Cassie Harrington realized something was missing. As she turned to look behind her, she was passed by Max, then Lucas, then Dustin. From what she remembered, Steve was the only person in front of her. Then, as she came to realization, she stopped.

Where was Mike?

Suddenly, a loud cry echoed through the tunnels. Not the cry of a monster, but a familiar cry of a boy. Eyes widening in panic, Cassie's heart began to race. She knew that scream — it was Mike's. Breaking into a sprint towards the opposite direction, Cassie desperately tried to follow the voice.

"Mike?" Cassie shouted at the top of her lungs, her gaze whipping in every direction. "Mike?!"

The girl then saw a limp shadow of a body from a few feet away, screaming the words, "Help! Help! Help!"

Mike Wheeler desperately tried to wiggle his way out of the monster's snake-like grasp as Cassie fell to her knees. Muttering a few swear words, the girl searched for her knife in her back pocket. When wrapping her hand around the grip, she whipped it out and frantically started chopping them away.

To her dismay, the snake-like creatures came back faster than Cassie could cut — pulling Mike faster into their depths. Crying out for help, Cassie heard a pair footsteps come near — her brother immediately appearing from the corner, her friends appearing just after him. Pulling out the nailed bat, Steve Harrington shouted at his sister, "Cass, move out of the way!"

Immediately following his orders, Cassie found herself scooting away as her brother took multiple swings at the creature. Finally, the snake-like thing cowered back into the walls, vanishing from the scene.

"Mike, are you alright?" shouted the brunette, racing back over to him.

Holding Mike in her arms, Cassie felt the boy's body tremble in fright. But, before he could speak, a familiar monstrous shriek escaped from something nearby. Switching her gaze to the noise, Cassie dropped her arms to her sides and cowered back in fright. The sight alone was terrifying.

"Dart," Dustin spoke quietly as he raised his hand in front of the creature that stood before them.

As the curly-haired boy took a step forward, he was bombarded with protests from every single one of his friends. Turning to them, he spoke in assurance, "Trust me, please."

As the boy dropped to his knees, Cassie Harrington turned away. Though the brunette trusted Dustin Henderson with her life, she had a horrid feeling that this was going to end badly. From behind her, Dustin spoke to the monster, "Hey, it's me. It's you're friend, it's Dustin. It's just Dustin. You remember me. Will you let us pass?"

The monster let out a loud growl in reply, causing Cassie to flinch as her body shook uncontrollably. Shutting her eyes, the girl reassured herself:

Dustin is going to be alright.

Dustin knows what he is doing.

I trust him.

As the girl turned, she watched as Dustin Henderson pulled out a candy bar from his back pocket. Smiling down at the creature, Dustin asked, "You hungry? Yeah?"

"He's insane," Lucas muttered.

"Shut up!" Steve whisper/yelled.

Watching the scene with her mouth agape, Cassie Harrington was in complete shock. Just a few feet away, Dustin Henderson held out a Three Musketeers candy bar to the monster, swiftly dropping it in front of him.

"Eat up, buddy," Dustin spoke, signaling the group to pass by waving his hand behind him while the monster was distracted.

Cassie Harrington was the first one to pass the boy — racing as far away from the creature as possible. The rest of the group followed just behind her, but once they all passed, they all stopped and watched as Dustin stood, whispering, "Goodbye, buddy."

Then, with the tip of a hat, Dustin followed the group away.

───────────────

"We are almost there!" Cassie shouted as she gazed down at the map in her brothers hands. "Just a little furth-"

Before Cassie could finish, an abrupt rumble sent the group to the ground, shaking their bodies roughly. It felt almost like an earthquake...though, they never get earthquakes in a town like Hawkins, Indiana.

Scrambling up to her feet, Max Mayfield asked in confusion, "What was that?"

Before anyone could think to respond, another sound flew through the area. The rumbling, though rushed, was soon followed by a noticeably loud roar, sending chills down each of their spines. One roar after another, the sounds seemed to grow closer. So close, that the group was frozen in shock.

Mike Wheeler soon turned to the group, his raspy voice yelling in panic, "They're coming! Let's go! Run! Run! Run!"

Grabbing Cassie Harrington's hand, Mike pulled her with him, running as fast as his legs could possibly move. Snapping out of her daze, Cassie ran with him; turning corners and dodging the snake-like ropes at his side. Suddenly, the rope came into view.

Racing up to it, Cassie felt Steve's arms around her, lifting her upwards as she pulled herself through the hole. Digging her nails into the dirt and grass, Cassie Harrington clawed the rest of the way out, falling next to Max Mayfield and Lucas Sinclair.

Soon after, Mike Wheeler appeared, causing Cassie to stretch out a hand for him to grab. Once his hand met hers, Cassie called, "Come on, Mike! I've got you!"

With all of her might, Cassie Harrington pulled Mike out of the hole, his body crushing her against the dirt as he fell on top of her. To which what could've been a romantic moment, was soon ruined by the roars of nearby monsters ready to attack. Pulling off of one another, Mike and Cassie looked down below, only to find Dustin and Steve not trying to get out, but readying theirselves to fight.

"No, no!" Cassie shouted, stretching out her hand to the two of them. If they stayed down there, they were going to die. "Dustin! Steve! Grab our hands!"

"Come on!" Lucas Sinclair shouted beside her.

But, it was too late. The demo-dogs raced towards them at full speed. And then...

Nothing.

Letting out a gasp, the group watched as the demo-dogs raced past Dustin and Steve, not even looking in their direction. It was then they realized...they weren't coming for them, they were coming for something else.

Sitting up straight, Cassie's hands flew to her mouth as Mike muttered beside her, "Eleven."

finally an update!! [a pretty darn long one]
im so sorry guys ive literally been so busy with school and sports that i haven't been able to update in so long! i promise i will soon!
love you!
-vee