Chapter 11 🍄

Jared felt like bashing his head on the wall. Hi? That was all he could send her! That was so stupid and he honestly felt as though he should delete that message. Still, he knew that if he did that, he would never have the courage to talk to her again.

Glaring daggers at his phone, he curled his toes in anticipation. What if she did not reply? What if she thought that some creepy person was messaging her and decided to block the number? Jared could feel his heart pump faster at that thought.

His anxiousness grew worse when he saw his phone light up.

From: Alex
To: Me

Hey! Sorry, who's this?

Jared grinned. She replied. She actually did! He felt like he was on cloud nine, he was the epitome of happiness. However, he knew that he could not tell her his real name. She had met him that day itself and would be suspicious if he told her he was Jared.

Then, Jared smirked. He could use the one thing that he hated the most about Zach; sharing the same middle name as him. Jared could always say that he was Asher and confuse Alex about who he really was. He didn't want to keep his identity a secret but he knew that she might not believe him if he warned her himself.

With that in mind, he typed out his next message.

From: Me
To: Alex

It's Asher (that's my middle name but you already know that so...)! I got your number from a friend. Please don't call me by my first name in text.

Alex frowned. That was a strange request. She didn't think Zach will be ashamed of being called his first name online. Maybe, he was using someone else's phone and he didn't want them to know who he was texting. But, no, that didn't add up either. Whatever it was, Alex was glad she found a way of contacting Zach outside of school.

From: Alex
To: Me

Sure. It's a strange request, but why not? By the way, you still have not repaid me for the favour I did for you in the hospital! Don't think I'll forget about that, yea?

Jared was utterly confused. What favour? Not wanting to sound like a fool, he just typed 'Obviously not!' and changed the topic. He couldn't afford being exposed less than one day after he began this act.

He felt so deceitful and knew it was wrong, but Jared also knew that he needed to do whatever that was possible to stop Alex from going out with Zach. Maybe, she would appreciate his candour more, but it was just not rational for him to be truthful when it meant he could lose her. 

They chatted for hours, occasionally taking breaks for when they had to eat or talk to someone else. It felt natural, so comfortable, to talk to each other without the bustle of students all around them and the judgemental eyes peering into them.

Yet, it didn't feel right. Especially for Jared. The thought was blaring loudly in his head with every message he sent, that Alex wasn't messaging him; she thought she was messaging Zach. And that was breaking his heart, piece by piece.

When it got too hard to handle that thought, Jared bid her goodnight and slammed his phone on the desk. The screen was surprisingly strong, with not even a crack appearing on it.

He was angry. No, he was furious. It was not even a day and he already hated what he was doing. He agreed with his logic that this was the only way Alex would actually talk and listen to him without doubting him. Yet, he still felt like he was cheating her, like this was not the right thing to do.

Whenever that feeling came, though, a voice in his head, soft but impactful, spoke, 'You are doing this for her. It's for her own good!'

Jared shook his head to stop the thoughts from clouding his mind and instead of focusing on his homework which he had been aiming to complete that night, he jumped on his bed and let the darkness consume it.

He'll deal with everything tomorrow. For now, he just wanted to sleep where all his worries were non-existent and he could live in a world where if things went bad, there was always the choice of waking up.

I'm back people!! It was a long break away from this book but even when i finished my other books, i knew something was incomplete and somehow, i was sure it was because i had not finished Obsessed and Hidden Secrets yet.

So, I'm back with fresh ideas and i will make sure to complete this book by the end of the year.

How was this chapter? Good? Bad? Meh? Don't forget to comment your thoughts!

Thank you for reading and if you liked this chapter, please click that orange star and make me super happy!!! :)