Chapter 36

On Saturday, Rob calls a Family meeting so we can analyze The Red. Honestly, I'd prefer that The Red just left my life.

"So do you think the gangsters were part of The Red or not?" Rob asks.

"I really don't know." I reply.

"Okay, guys, listen." He speaks quietly now. "We have a plan. We're going to send you guys out on a walk, and wait for someone to come out and attempt to kill you. Don't be worried! We'll have lots and lots of people for backup."

"But witnesses get killed!" I say.

"Well, we'll have at least fifty of them hiding, ready to pounce, okay?"

"Well, fine. If it helps us capture The Red...I'll do it."

I look at Caylen. Normally he's a daredevil type of kid, but when it comes to The Red, he wants no part of it.

"I'll do it," he says.

"Good," Rob says. "Now go."

"Now?" Caylen and I say simultaneously.

"Yes, now!" Shauna says. "Why wait to achieve justice?"

Caylen and I hesitantly stand and walk out the door.

"Act natural," he says. "They're probably watching us."

"Yep," I say. "So how's your life going?"

"It's going. I have a C in math."

"Um, maybe you should fix that."

"Oh, I will."

"You'd better."

"Yeah, yeah. So are you going to that dance? I wish I was old enough."

"Well, yeah, I think I am."

"With who?"

"Kian."

"Oh." He doesn't seem surprised. "Maybe I'll have to meet this guy. You know, in a place other than Main Street where a crazy person kept me captive while your face got bagged."

"Yeah." Honestly, the thought of Caylen and Kian talking to each other seems weird. The thought of Kian talking to anyone seems weird.

We walk until we're a few blocks away from home. We're close to the spot those gangsters attacked us.

"Natalie?" Caylen says. "When are you wanting to go to the orphanage again?"

"Oh, I don't know. Why?"

"Just wondering."

"Why?"

"No reason."

"What's there that you're interested in?"

His face goes a little pink. It's so subtle I wonder if I even really see it. "Nothing."

"You're trying to prank Jill, aren't you!"

"What? No!"

"Of course you are! Why else would you wanna go?"

He doesn't say anything.

"Oh my gosh. Caylen." My voice is stern, but then becomes excited. "You like Jill!"

"What? No! She's really young, and annoying, and...and...."

I shriek a little. "I can't believe it! You like Jill!"

"Shut your face! Stop!"

"No! I'm so excited!"

"Natalie!" he whines. "Stop! You don't need to tell the public!"

"So it's true?"

He puts his hand on his face.

"Hmm?" I push.

"Okay!" he says. "Maybe I like her...a little."

"Ah!"

"But please don't say anything!"

"Okay."

"Just zip it, alright? It's not like we're old enough to date anyway. It really doesn't matter."

"Oh, come on! Someday, this will happen!"

Caylen is blushing fiercely.

"Okay," I say. "I know how you feel. Kinda. I'll go back to normal."

"Good."

"But I just can't believe it!"

"Well-" Caylen stops abruptly, and what I see reminds me of why we're walking in the first place.

We're at the spot the gangsters tried to kill us a few weeks ago. And the gangsters are here.

But they're also not here.

They're a pile of dead bodies, with The Red's sticker on each and every one of them.

---------------------------------------------

I'm running to the store on Main Street. I've left Caylen and everybody else back at the scene of the crime. I didn't stick around to try to guess what might've happened. I already know.

I reach the store, and try to pry the automatic door open, because it's not opening fast enough.

Once inside, I run to the nearest register. There's a woman there, probably only about eighteen or nineteen years old. I stop near her, trying to catch my breath. She looks at me with a horrified look on her face.

"I need to see Kian Aethelmaer," I say. "Is he here?"

"Yeah....he should be in the back. I can call for him if you like...."

"Yes, please."

She turns on the intercom and says, "Kian Aethelmaer to register three, please."

Every second of waiting is agony. Finally I see Kian appear. Once he sees me, he quickens his pace. I grab his arm and pull him outside, not caring what anyone thinks.

"What happened, Natalie?" he looks concerned.

"What do you know about The Red?" I demand.

"What? Why-"

"I know you know something. Whatever you have to hide, tell me now."

"Why?"

"I-" I run my hands through my hair and then I just start crying.

"Natalie! What is it?" He grabs my shoulders.

"Kian.... My parents didn't die in a car crash."

"What?" he says softly, yet surprised.

"They were murdered. By The Red." I whisper is so softly I'm surprised he can even hear.

His eyes widen, and I can see his chest expanding rapidly as his breathing quickens.

"Are you serious?" he asks.

I nod. He let's go of my shoulders.

"I have to go," he says.

"What?"

"I have to go."

"Why?"

"I have to go." It's like he can't say anything else. He turns around.

"Kian, wait!"

He turns back to face me, and pulls me into a tight hug, and whispers, "I have to go."

He lets me go, and runs away. Not into the store, not to a car, not anywhere. He just runs away.

I have a horrible feeling he's not coming back.

__________________________

These last few chapters are pretty short. Sorry about that. I'll probably fix this story next year. I haven't edited it because I'm lazy.