Chapter 4

The next morning, the Main Room is dead silent. Normally, there'd be a movie playing on the big TV, children playing with toys, and lots of noise. Today, right now, it's silent.

We have visitors.

One is a tall, bald, Caucasian man with sunglasses. He wears a navy blue suit with a red and white striped tie. He is cleanly shaved, and he stands at attention with his hands behind his back. His briefcase has been set on the ground near his feet. I can't see his eyes, but I know they are scanning the orphans.

The other visitor is a middle aged woman with auburn hair pulled into an impossibly tight bun. Her suit is also navy blue, only she wears a business skirt and her red tie has no stripes. I notice her shoes are tall, black stilettos, polished to perfection.

Cathy stands near them. She steps forward and says, "Good morning, everyone. As you can see, we have some guests."

There might as well have been crickets chirping in the background. She gestures to the man and then to the woman.

"This is Stephano," she says, "and this is Susan."

The couple bothers me, but Cathy's voice brings me closer to ease.

"They are here to, ah, inspect the orphanage for a bit. They'll make sure everything's all right. They'll only be here for about a week. So you can all be nice to them while they're here, okay?"

That's her descreet way of saying, You'd better behave yourselves!

"Okay," comes a chorus of children's voices.

"Great! Now you can all carry on with your activities while I make breakfast, then it's time for school."

School for us is Cathy teaching from old textbooks. Sometimes she has me help since I'm the oldest and I've learned the younger kid's lessons.

Before Cathy leaves the room, she assigns the usual morning chores. "Seth, it's your turn to help me with breakfast. Afterwards, Natalie, Jill, and Bethany have the dish washing shift."

I'm grateful that Cathy is at ease, or I might explode.

I nod and Cathy smiles at Stephano and Susan before leaving the room with Seth.

Jill and I sit in the corner of the room. Jill absently picks at the dark blue paint and I run my fingers trough the old gray carpet.

Jill glances at the visitors. "I wish they'd leave. They're making me very uncomfortable."

"Just be thankful they're not staying longer," I say.

Her eyes grow wide and I turn to see Stephano walking toward us.

"Hello," he says. His voice is deep and professional.

I hurriedly stand. As does Jill.

"What are your names?" he asks.

Jill gulps. "Jillian Owens."

Stephano nods. I smile, probably failing my attempt to look natural. "Natalie Cace." I shake his hand.

Stephano grins. "Cace.... was your father's name Matthew?"

"Matthias," I correct him. "You knew him?"

"Somewhere along the road," he removes his sunglasses, revealing a dull pair of hazel eyes.

"What was his job again?" he asks.

"He...he worked at the airport." I tell him.

"Ah. That makes sense. I fly around a lot."

"So you must've met him there."

"Of course. Nice man. I was saddened to hear his life was interrupted. Remind me, what happened to him?"

My anger flares. People talk about the death of my parents so casually. It's pushing me past the limit.

My gaze hardens as I tell him what I tell everyone: "Car crash."

I am beginning to be a little creeped out by this man who apparently knew my dad.

"I'm very sorry to hear that," he says, "You have his eyes. That's one way I remembered him. I've never seen such beautiful golden brown eyes."

Okay. Majorly creeped out.

"Thank you...."

"If you don't mind, I've got to go talk to Susan. Hope to speak with you again soon, Miss Cace."

"You too."

Not.

He smiles and walks away, putting his sunglasses back on.

Jill exhales. "That was weird! especially since he knows your dad!"

I choose to ignore the fact that she just spoke about my dad in the present tense.

I just roll my eyes. "I know, right?"

"So," Jill looks at me, "Can we escape this place of discomfort and go for a run before lunch?"

A grin takes over my face and I nod.

"Right after we wash the dishes."