Chapter 12

"Smokescreen!" I yelled against the roaring wind. I closed my eyes, preventing any more sand from getting in them, and held my arm over my face. "Where are you?"

I was so scared. My heart was beating so fast that I was afraid that it would leap out of chest and into the furious sand storm that surrounded me.

"Over here!" I heard him yell. "Walk towards my voice!" I stumbled forward, little bit by bit, fighting against the wind and the sand, towards his voice.

"Keep talking," I yelled at him. "I can't see anything."

"I'm towards the ruins," He called.

I kept walking towards his voice, forcing one foot in front of the other. With my arm stretched out in front of me, I suddenly felt something smooth, hard and unmoving.

"That's my foot," Smokescreen said over the roaring wind, "Climb onto my hand!" He exclaimed. I stumbled forward and felt for his hand. I found it quickly and scrambled onto it. Desperately, I clung onto his giant hand like my life depended on it, because it did.

My guardian pulled it up to his chest, to block me from the oncoming sand. Slowly, he started to walk forwards. I risked a glance at where we were going.

We were heading towards the ruins, almost gone in the billowing sand. I closed my eyes again and clung tighter to one of his fingers. I felt Smokescreen bend down and try to shield me the best he could against the raging storm, using the ruins as added cover, even if it wasn't much.

Pivoting, I turned my back to the sand and curled in a ball, waiting for it all to be over. More now then ever, I hoped we would be okay by the end of this.

Back at base
"Smokescreen, do you read me?" Ratchet asked into the com link. All he got in response was a constant static.

"Do you think they're okay?" Raf's voice quivered in fright as he asked the Autobots present.

"Smokescreen may be a rookie, but he has taken up a great responsibility. He will not let anything happen to Lora, I have seen how much he cares for her," Optimus reassured Raf.

"Ratchet, open up a ground bridge. Bulkhead, Arcee and Wheeljack, with me. We will see if we can find them," Optimus commanded. "The rest of you will remain here in case we need back up. We do not know what is interfering with the coms," he continued.

Bulkhead stepped up to the ground bridge with Arcee and Wheeljack not far behind him.

Typing in Smokescreeen and Lora's arrival coordinates, Ratchet opened ground bridge. As soon as the portal had fully open, a wave of sand and raging wind entered, prompting Ratchet to hurriedly shut it, but not before Bulkhead got nailed with the wind and sand. The ground bridge shut, and the sand storm instantly ceased.

"Well, now we know what is interfering with the coms," Wheeljack said sarcastically while shrugging his shoulders.

Lora's P.O.V.
After what seemed like hours, the storm still hadn't lighten up, it had only got worse. Smokescreen was covered in sand and I had so much in my hair. I had got some in my eyes too, and was trying my best to not rub it out, but took all of my self control to do so. My mouth was coated in a thin layer of it, and let me say, it was disgusting.

"When do you think the others will find us?" I asked Smokescreen. He moved his head ever so slightly, cautious of the sand now piled on top of it. If he moved too fast, the sand would come crashing down on me. Occasionally some would come off, but it never touched me.

"I hope soon, I don't know how much more sand I can get in my gears," he joked, trying to lighten the mood.

"Why is it every time I step out of the base, something happens to me."