Chapter Thirty Five

Depuis le début

“Hi.” I started off with that and then felt even more stupid. Rolling my eyes when no one looked up, I lost my patience. “Look at me when I speak!” I snapped impatiently. More harshly and not in the mood for this childish behaviour.

Yes, I had been spending way too much time around Judd. His trait’s definitely rubbing off on me. Among other things rubbing against me.

“Look, I know you all hate me and that’s fine but I’m not going to sit in silence as you bully me, and whisper things about me behind my back,” I said with a heavy sigh. “None of you know me, you think just because I’m a human that I’m the bad person, I haven’t done anything wrong so you need to get over whatever it is that is pissing you off. I’m not going anywhere.”

Maybe not the best way to start a pack meeting, but my inner bitch was coming out, baby wolf and all.

Their scowls seemed to slowly sink away, one elder woman raised her hand and I nodded for her to speak. “Luna, with all due respect. You’ve been here for barely a few months and in that time our Alpha was attacked and two of our wolves have been killed. No, make that four including the two guards.”

I raised a brow at her, there was no way the blame for that was being pushed onto me. “The guards? Ok. That was not my fault and Valerie was warned more than once. She was the one who told me the Alpha was a wolf, exposing you all. I had no idea, don’t accuse me of things that you have no idea about.”

Pursing her lips, another wolf close to her spoke. “And the diner this morning?”

“What would have happened if I drank the juice that girl brought out to me? It’s ok for her to poison your Luna? Which I will remind you, I am the Alpha’s mate. I am the Luna and just because I am human, doesn’t give you the right to assume or accuse. Yes, it’s disgusting that she died and I hate that it happened. It really tears at my heart, but she was stupid enough to try and poison me in front of Judd. He’s the goddamn Alpha.”

They were all silent, except some snickering in the back which I chose to ignore. I grabbed the chair and sat down. “None of you know what it’s like, to move your whole life into a town and leave everything behind. I left my family, friends, an amazing job which I loved going to each day and yes you’re right, you’re all wolves and I’m just a human but I never asked for this. I never came here demanding to be something that I’m not.” I couldn’t even look at anyone, defeat was getting to me. I felt like the odd girl out in school who sat and ate her school lunch in the toilets because she had no one to sit with. “You blame me for something that I had no control about, I had no idea Judd would be attacked and he wasn’t the only one harmed. I was beaten and almost raped,” I took a breath when gasps were made. That was something none of them knew, Judd didn’t want anyone to know but what did it matter. Maybe they’d see a different side of things, the colour instead of black and white.

“I killed a wolf who was torturing me, he was taunting me and hurting me and I don’t know how but someone I was able to defend myself. All I could think about was saving my mate, making sure he wasn’t harmed because I love him with my life. He’s my everything, and when I killed Michael, I didn’t regret it at all. He was going to do the same to me and your Alpha. You think I wanted blood on my hands? Well I didn’t and now, because of that day I’m being punished for something that wasn’t my fault. Valerie let him out, and the girl today. That was her own fault, as sad as it is, she was trying to kill me.”

“Luna?” a soft voice spoke up.

I looked up and was met with all eyes on me, moments ago they held rage and anger. Now, they held sorrow and regret. Pity.

“Yes?” I asked, I had no idea who spoke but a woman in the mid-thirties stood up and bowed her head. “You can speak,” I told her.

“Please forgive me, I listened to gossip without knowing the facts,” she spoke timidly. “I know in my heart that you aren’t the evil woman they say you are, and I can’t ever apologise enough for not trusting you.”